March 29, 2024, 08:16:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Really confusing question about solubilities of compounds?  (Read 3070 times)

Offline UnderJonathan

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Really confusing question about solubilities of compounds?
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
I have a problem. I've been working on a worksheet for about 3-4 days and I'm almost done but there is one question that got me stuck. The question is "Two of the reactions in this experiment produced bubbles. What gas was produced in both cases?" According to my observations, the two reactions that produced bubbles (and gas) were (shown as reactants): HCl + H2SO4--> ? and HCl + Na2CO3--> ? I am supposed to find the products and then tell my teacher which gas was produced in both cases. I was predicting the products with double replacement but with the first one, you have hydrogen atoms on both sides of the reactants AND, the second does not produce a gas. Help please?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Really confusing question about solubilities of compounds?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
Well, the best way to know the products will come down to experience.  However, lets at least start to understand possible products by actually writing out the possible double replacement reactions, and lets see where we can go from there.  Also, did you notice any properties of the gas released as bubbles?  Any interesting (or not) smell?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline UnderJonathan

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »
Well, the best way to know the products will come down to experience.  However, lets at least start to understand possible products by actually writing out the possible double replacement reactions, and lets see where we can go from there.  Also, did you notice any properties of the gas released as bubbles?  Any interesting (or not) smell?

I was working in a group. The thing is, my partners were the ones that did that part of the experiment. They only saw bubbles and gas, but since it involves chlorine, I'd assume they'd have felt that smell because it'd be strong.

This is how it'd look like...
HCl + H2SO4--> *Impossible, you'd end up with the same thing*
HCl + Na2CO3--> H2CO3 + NaCl but none are gases.

I really need help.

No properties seen (just the gas).

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »
Now here's the secret that comes from experience, or you just memorize, or you find it in your textbook, or on Wikipedia:  carbonic acid, H2CO3, isn't stable and decomposes instantly.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links