April 18, 2024, 11:19:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Honors Chem. lab help. ..Sodium hydroxide and aluminum... Urgent!  (Read 2443 times)

Offline bjohnson96

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
So I'm working on my conclusion for my lab. I just want to know if what I have so far is ok. I just don't know what to put after this...

"After gathering all of my evidence, I have found it reasonable to posit that ……. When I commenced my experiment by testing out a small sample of aluminum inside the test tube, I noticed that as the aluminum dissolved in the sodium hydroxide, it was heated, and let off hydrogen gas. This is caused by..."

Btw, after "I have found it reasonable to posit that ." the dots are just temporary. It's just to hold it over for now until I think of something to write.

So what causes hydrogen gas to be let off when adding sodium hydroxide to aluminum? Any other creative ideas for this lab? I'm dying for help here, as I am not a science person whatsoever. Thanks guys.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Honors Chem. lab help. ..Sodium hydroxide and aluminum... Urgent!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »
Well, have you learned something recently in class that could help you understand why some reactions go forward?   Something about the nature of either aluminum, or the general sort of compound NaOH is?

This is how we help on this forum.  We give you hints, to help you understand.  You'll be better off, come exam time, if you start to work it out for yourself.  You may not be a science guy, but you are taking an honors chemistry class, so you should be able to handle it.  Whether you write "I have found it reasonable to posit that ." or "Conclusions:" means pretty much the same thing, its what you can do to merge classwork and lab observations is what's key.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:32:57 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
Re: Honors Chem. lab help. ..Sodium hydroxide and aluminum... Urgent!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
Perhaps a balanced equation is the way to start. What are the chemical formulas for all the reactants you have written about?

Sponsored Links