April 28, 2024, 12:11:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Interesting way to make Sulfuric Acid and Methyl Iodide  (Read 2341 times)

Offline AndersHoveland

• Mole Snacks: +7/-3
    • energericscribble (my other site is "energeticchemical")
Interesting way to make Sulfuric Acid and Methyl Iodide
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
I have found some interesting references to the reaction of methyl alcohol with sulfur dioxide and iodine to form sulfuric acid and methyl iodide.

2 CH3OH + SO2 + I2 --> 2 CH3I + H2SO4

This reaction could potentially be very useful to prepare alkyl iodides from their alcohols, and would be an interesting way to make sulfuric acid.

Unfortunately, I cannot find much information about this reaction.

Supposedly sulfur dioxide and iodine can be reacted with methanol to form sulfuric acid and methyl iodide, which separate into two separate liquid layers.
Dokiya, Kameyama, Fukuda (1979)

A solution of iodine in methyl alcohol was treated with hydrogen sulphide until the deep brown color of the liquid has entirely disappeared. The presence of methyl iodie was proved by fractional distillation.

A solution of iodine in methyl alcohol was treated with sulphur dioxide. Here also methyl iodide was formed in small quantity. The main product consisted of different ethers.
Journal American Chemical Society; 4, 295 (year 1891)
Volume 13

WARNING: alkyl iodides are poisonous nasty alkylating agents!

Typically, only dilute sulfuric acid can be made by oxidizing SO2 with iodine water, because more concentrated H2SO4 oxidizes iodine ions. But the use of pure alcohol might allow more concentrated H2SO4 to form, since the CH3I that would form is likely less vulnerable to oxidation.

Does anyone have more information about this?
Do you think it would work?

Sponsored Links