April 29, 2024, 11:25:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TiO2 Decomposing paper  (Read 7627 times)

Offline dative

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
TiO2 Decomposing paper
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »
I'm trying to create paper that would rapidly decompose and become a sort of compost in an outdoor environment. Would TiO2 be a way of doing this? It's for a design project I'm working on.

I'm not a chemistry student so forgive me if this is an obvious question.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: TiO2 Decomposing paper
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »
I think a lot of paper already contains titanium dioxide as an optical brightener.
Individual results may vary

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »
I'm trying to create paper that would rapidly decompose and become a sort of compost in an outdoor environment. Would TiO2 be a way of doing this? It's for a design project I'm working on.

I'm not a chemistry student so forgive me if this is an obvious question.

I doubt that TiO2 is biodegradable.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline dative

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:41:21 AM »
This is what I'm basing it on. Thought I would ask some professionals if it has any truth. http://www.creativitypool.com/viewtopic.php?t=3759
I would probably be using newspaper pulp and then adding it.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »
I think a lot of paper already contains titanium dioxide as an optical brightener.

No, titanium dioxide is a white pigment.  Optical brighteners are orgainic dyes that absorb UV and then re-emit visible light,  see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Brightening_Agent

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
here is a link discussing coatings on paper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coated_paper

Offline dative

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »
Okay so Titanium Dioxide isn't a viable method.

Can you think of any way of doing this? Or possibly a flat thin material that's relatively cheap that would work?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
Specifically, how is paper not biodegradable?  Moist paper softens, and there are microorganisms that can decompose cellulose.  Do you want trash to disappear in urban environments more rapidly?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline dative

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
I understand that it's biodegradeable but not rapidly. In a moist area it still takes anywhere from two to four weeks. Is there any way to speed up the process? Or a material that would decompose more rapidly?

Offline dative

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »
Plus it would be handy if it acted as some sort of nutrition for a plant but thats probably a pipedream.

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
But, then the packaging would last only a very short while on the shelf.
That would lead to a very high waste that would be added to land fills
not to mention the cost of the product would be very high

They are now using more paper packaging in an effort to diminish the effect of the plastic packaging

I read a science fiction short story once in which they invented bacteria that would digest plastic in the land fills. But, it got loose and started eating everything in plastic. Things like cars, TVs etc. were not immune. Talk about unintended consequences.

What would you do not to cause unintended consequences in your paper decomposition scheme.

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
TiO2 + UV light

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »
Perhaps the paper could be impregnated with cellulase?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulase

Don't know how stable or active it would be upon rehydration though.
Individual results may vary

Offline dative

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:34 AM »
I think there is some misunderstanding of what I'm intending to do. I'm trying to create a sustainable poster created out of recycled newspaper and impregnated with a seed, which would then be ripped off a wall and buried. The paper would hopefully rapidly decompose and give the seed fuel to hopefully grow into a tree. Although I have no real knowledge on the subject it seems plausible to me that if I create recycled paper (which will have been completely broken down, so that no fibres remain connected) it will break down in soil relatively quickly. I was just wondering if there was maybe some way to speed the process up, and because I've heard paper isn't brilliant compost, some way I could enhance its nutritional benefits. It seems reasonable to think that there's probably a better substance to use that I could apply text to (not necessarily through a standard printing method).

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »
Well, there already exist peat plant pots.  You plant a seed or cutting into it, the seed grows, when you see the roots protrude, you bury the pot.  The plant continues to rip the pot apart as it grows, its earliest roots are protected from the surrounding soil.

So lets see what we have so far.  You start with previously recycled paper, of course.  The recycling process results in some shortened fibers, so it will have to be thicker.  You don't bleach the paper, so the fibers will be more visible.  Now you have an odd looking poster stock.  You use soy inks, which may lack some vibrancy, but are perfectly biodegradable (I guess, I don't really know.)  So this is a kinda tacky looking poster, but that's cool, now it has an eco-hippy-look for extra cache.  You embed a seed, and let people know when the poster is done with to plant the poster.  If the poster isn't too big, they can bury it, and the plant will grow.

Your TiO2 plan, as I understand how it works from some information I can Google, will only oxidize dispersed particles, while the TiO2 is itself dispersed as nanoparticles, and only under intense UV, not while buried.

As for a plant nutrient.  That's a kinda tough one.  First of all, you can't store much.  Second of all, exposure to water will cause it to leach away, if the nutrients are very soluble.  A sprouting seed doesn't really need fertilizer, and the tiny amount you include will be gone by the time its really needed.  You might as well for forget that bit.  Its really enough that the paper will help hold water and provide some extra porosity to the soil.

You might want to consider the eco-consiousess carefully.  What plant seed are you going to include?  Just about any plant can be considered "invasive" depending on the locale.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links