April 29, 2024, 06:42:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TiO2 Decomposing paper  (Read 7626 times)

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: TiO2 Decomposing paper
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »
Seducing idea. After being the seed of wisdom, your paper shall be the seed of a tree.

I suppose normal paper contains preservatives to prevent it rotting, so could the same paper without these preservatives degrade more quickly?

I'm not quite sure cellulose (paper) is the interesting material in compost. Vegetables tend to create their cellulose by themselves; it's my very limited understanding that compost is a method to put the minerals back into the soil, not necessarily the organic materials.

If you bury the paper, Sunlight won't reach it, but I believe TiO2 only helps light action.

Could you decompose the paper above the soil first, then bury it? This is how compost is done, and without water accumulation. Since the decomposition process is biological rather than chemical, you might better add some living organism instead of molecules.

A small bag containing germs of the worms that eat the paper, and seeds for the tree that eats the compost? That would propose an active participation to a newspaper reader!

Or what about a support less transformed than paper is? A kind of papyrus, made of braided grass blades, but less charged with preservatives so it decomposes like normal grass would? You could even keep the seeds from the original grass.

Sisal is used in gardens as a rope. It's flat, strong, and takes a year of rain and Sunlight to break.

Here I have mandrels for toilet paper that can be thrown into the toilets. They disintegrate in water within minutes. Their glue must be water-soluble, maybe starch. But this is not biodegradation nor recycling, as cellulose remains intact though separated in small fibres.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: TiO2 Decomposing paper
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »
Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.flowerseedpaper.com/seeds/planting_guide.html

Sponsored Links