April 25, 2024, 09:04:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ACS Certified Programs  (Read 5609 times)

Offline amorale

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
ACS Certified Programs
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
I am sorry if this is not the right spot to post a question like this, but I search all over the internet without finding and answer, and this seem like a good place to ask my question.

So I was wondering if schools that are ACS certified offer a better chemistry program than schools that are certified?

Also how important is obtaining a degree from a certified school if you want to go to grad school to obtain a Masters or Doctoral degree, as opposed to obtaining a degree from a non ACS school?

Will the chances of getting into grand school be higher if the school you come from is ACS certified?

Thank You

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
Re: ACS Certified Programs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »
I'm guessing you miss types and that you're asking if ACS accredited schools are better than non accredited.

The specific guidelines can be found on ACS's website. An accreditation from ACS is more or less a stamp of approval on the quality of a schools undergraduate program. It says that the curriculum, research opportunities and other aspects of the program provide rigorous training in the eyes of the US's largest chemistry society.

Although I can't say for sure, I would think that obtaining an accredited degree would greatly enhance your chances of getting into a graduate program of your choice.

Personally, I would advise going to an ACS accredited school, regardless of your future plans.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline amorale

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
That is kind of what I meant, sorry for my English.
I am currently attending a State University in Florida but they are not accredited by them (ACS), and now I am considering transferring before I get in too deep and loose lots of credits. They also only offer a Chemistry BA which I think is not good enough for my future plans which are to work in industry and maybe later work on research after further study. But I don't know if there is a huge difference between a BA and a BS when it comes to finding jobs.

The funny thing is that I really want a BS because from what I have seen the big difference is the math and math intensive chemistry courses (plus overall more chem classes) which I would love to take because because I plan on doing a math minor anyways.

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »
The big difference between a BS and a BA is usually the math component. BA allow you to take more courses outside of sciences if you're so inclined. A BS usually prepares you to be a stronger, more focused, chemist.

A BS is usually stronger than a BA for graduate school applications IMO. That said, I know plenty of grad students/doctorates who have a BA. Try talking to some of your faculty members and see what they have to say.

Two questions, what year are you and what are your grades like?

Keep in mind that some of your credits may not transfer, so you might have to start over.

"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline amorale

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
I am in my first year of the major, (on general chem 2 right now) and grands could be better, trying to improve on them the GPA is close to 3 but not there yet. However most of that is because of humanities and crap like that which I have a hard time with because of the english, however all my maths are As.

Sponsored Links