March 19, 2024, 02:23:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: In Need of a Gas that Fluoresces Under UV light  (Read 13078 times)

Offline Adammax

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
In Need of a Gas that Fluoresces Under UV light
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find a substance that is in its gas phase between 21 and 37 degrees Celsius (70-100 degrees f) and between 10 and 200psi of pressure, that emits light in the visible spectrum when excited by a ultraviolet light source.

Ideally the gas would also be colorless in the visible spectrum but isn't required.

Basically, I am looking for a gas that would glow under a black light similarly to how some minerals do. Having a gas with these properties would be very useful in a few engineering applications I am currently exploring and I was wondering if anyone knows of any substances that has the properties outlined above or if anyone knows if such a substance can even exist. Its been awhile since I did any photochemistry.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: In Need of a Gas that Fluoresces Under UV light
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
I suspect this is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to achieve.  By definition, molecules of gas a diffuse, a small amount of matter widely separated.  You won't have enough material in one place to generate much light.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:14 AM »
If no gas is efficient enough at absorbing UV, maybe you could accept a fine powder or mist in the gas?

Offline Adammax

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »
If no gas is efficient enough at absorbing UV, maybe you could accept a fine powder or mist in the gas?

Both of those would work provided I could prevent the powder/mist from collecting on the sides of the chamber containing it

Sponsored Links