April 19, 2024, 02:09:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which of these slater determinants contributes to the excited state wavefunction  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Quantumdotty

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Got a question on my computational worksheet that im not sure on so I thought id run it pass you guys:
In a CI calculation on the exicted 3Term symbol+u electronic state of H2, which of the following slater determinants can contribute to the excited state wavefunction and explain?
l1(x)ag 1(x)aul . l1(x)ag 1(y)aul . l1(x)au 1(y)Bgl . l1(x)Bg 2(x)Bul . l1(y)au 1(y)agl . l1(y)Bu 2(y)Bul

Where x= sigma and y=pi
Now by observation in know that the superscript must stay the same i.e. AA or BB as it is suppose to be a triplet state. So this rules out number 3. The excited state is also ungerade so that must mean that both of the slater determinants must be ungerade aswell. This means it must be the last one. Am I doing this right I dont want to write a page long answer and then find out im doing it wrong.

cheers in advance

Offline Quantumdotty

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
In addition according to the La Porte rule u to u and g to g transitions are forbidden so i do not think it is the last one. This leads me to think that it is the first one and the 5 th one. Correct?

Sponsored Links