April 25, 2024, 08:51:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: where would we be without science?  (Read 7968 times)

Offline paloscience

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
where would we be without science?
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
science has took us so far with still much more to be discovered, if we did not have scientists, can we survive are we just programmed to learn? to discover? can we live without science?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: where would we be without science?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:01:38 PM »
That depends on what you mean by science. For me, science is the process of predicting and, in some cases, altering the future. In it's simplest form, it is the ability to predict that you would be able to apply more force to a blow by swinging a rock or a piece of wood than by swinging your fist, and thus carrying a club with you when you went hunting. In more complicated forms, it is the ability to predict that if you bury the appropriate pieces of a plant and conduct a few rituals like pouring on water, removing other vegetation, and adding other esoteric substances, you will at some point be able to harvest an entire crop, and thus domesticate vegetables. In still more complicated forms, it allows you to predict that if you use the wrong material in an o-ring at the wrong temperatures, your space shuttle will be unable to maintain its structural integrity and will scatter itself across the upper atmosphere.

Our ability to remember the past and use it to predict the future is our second strongest evolutionary advantage. The strongest is our ability to learn not only from our own experiences but from the experiences of all those that we can communicate with. That enables us to change our destinies on the time scale of the formation of interneural connections rather than on the time scale of mutation.

Basically, what scientists have enable us to do is bypass Darwinian evolution. For all practical purposes, we have eliminated individual competition for survival. If we did not have scientists, no discovery would ever be acted on or transmitted, and survival would have depended on the strength and experience of a single life.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
We could survive without science. With respect to agriculture, production would be low and sometimes dangerously low and I would be praying to my gods often.
If you get sick, you would need the help of your witch doctor and I would have no idea what his drugs/methods will do.
For dentistry.... man, I don't want to think about it!

Or maybe you meant what the future would be like? It would be monotonous.

Offline domnic0723

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:59:46 AM »
We're still in the primitive society without science I guess.

AYON

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:28:32 AM »
Without science and its language math, "we" would not exist.  There would be people, but very few, limited to hunter-gatherers and some practicing primitive agriculture.  The 7 billion people alive today and billions of their ancestors would never have been born.

Offline SapereAude1490

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »
I would say that natural selection favoured smarter people, and then one of those people tamed fire. After that, well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHLJ92aSto

a bit off topic.

I love science, but I'm not naive; science also gave us WMDs and with great power comes great responsibility. Scientific worldview and progress is something that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, however let us not forget what Voltaire said:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Sponsored Links