March 28, 2024, 07:12:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chem Eng Undergrad but I am in it for the Chemistry  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Acidcat.

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chem Eng Undergrad but I am in it for the Chemistry
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:00:01 AM »
Hello, I am a junior in a Chemical Engineering program so it is too late for me to turn back, but I am realizing that it does not have as much actual chemistry as I would like. Could I please get some input on how to get back toward the chemistry side of things, while still taking advantage of my skills? Would a graduate degree in chemistry be the way to go?

Am I asking the wrong place/forum?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Chem Eng Undergrad but I am in it for the Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 08:05:24 AM »
That's certainly one way to go. What sort of a job are you looking for?

Other possibilities include finding a job as a chemical engineer and taking the chemistry courses you are interested in on the side - many companies will pay your tuition, especially if they need the chemical engineers and chemists to talk together. Another possibility would be to see if you could get a chemistry minor or even double major by taking an extra semester or two, or putting in some hard summers.

You don't necessarily need a degree to reflect all of your interests; just keep taking the classes you either want or need.

Offline jaspevacek

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
    • It's the Rheo Thing
Re: Chem Eng Undergrad but I am in it for the Chemistry
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
Back in the day, we used to talk about "big C" ChemE's and "bigE" ChemE's. The latter was far more common, while being one of the former, I was and still am a freak.

It's been my experience (20+ years in large and small companies) that you will be able to do more chemistry if you work for smaller companies. Bigger companies will fit you into the big E box like they do with all the ChemE's, and there you are. Smaller companies, and startups in particular don't have the luxury of that, so if you can do both the chemistry AND the engineering, you will be viewed favorably and get to do what you want.

Sponsored Links