April 16, 2024, 02:35:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction maps?  (Read 4120 times)

Offline HoorayFerSocks

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction maps?
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and see myself spending a fair amount of time here.  I am currently in Organic Chemistry 2 and have an exam coming up soon.  I am trying to think of an efficient way to organize reactions so they're easier for me to remember.  For my first exam, I just made a list of the new ones I'd learned this semester, as well as some that I'd forgotten from last semester... But those are kinda in no particular order.  My professor mentioned making a reaction map or something of the sort.  It's a little overwhelming trying to think of EVERY type of reaction I know and putting it all on a final copy because I know I'll forget something and have to adjust it.  My biggest question is, does anyone have a template, example, know a place where I can find a bit of a structured plan before I just start arbitrarily drawing stuff out?  I was thinking that I'll just put a functional group in the center of a page and put other functional groups around it and write reagents I would use to get from point A to point B.  Does anyone have any better ideas?

Given starting materials and conditions, I can almost always get that right.  It's the retrosynthetic stuff that is difficult for me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!   :)

Offline H2O+smile

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Reaction maps?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:39:05 AM »
Hello friend, the map you should draw depends on you subject syllabus. For example, you can make a map for halides compounds reactions by putting general formula of halide in the center and drawing some arrows with reagents were written on them. Then, you should make another map for aldehydes, ketones, etc.

Here an example for you: http://www.mhhe.com/physsci/chemistry/carey/student/olc/graphics/carey04oc/ch23/figures/grignard.gif

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:41:02 AM »
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:29 AM »
That's a pretty sweet map Azmanam - thanks!
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Sponsored Links