Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Education and Careers

College question: Majoring in Chemistry

(1/2) > >>

unleash10:
Hi I have a few questions about majoring in chemistry.

1) What are the benefits of having a bachelor of science vs arts in chemistry?

2) Does it matter which one I have if I plan on going to med school/ grad school?

I don't think this matters, but I am attending UC Davis this fall.

Mitch:
Your grades, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and research experience far outweighs whether you get into grad school than your bachelors of science vs. bachelors of arts degree.

Dude:
As Mitch indicated, your individual effort will outweigh any title.  However, many of the old-timers favor a science degree over an arts degree and I do also.  The primary basis is the number of technical credits that make up your degree.  This can have a marked effect on your preparedness level in grad school.  I was in a materials science program with students from several disciplines (engineering, chemistry, physics).  One person I was in a class with had a Chem Eng degree.  His course curriculum required 118 credits out of about 130 in physics, math or engineering.  Another student had a BA in Chemistry and her curriculum required about 75 credits out of 130 in technical classes (the rest can be pottery, Art, History, English etc).  That equates to about an extra year and a half of techical skill given the same level of input from each student.  It showed during the first year of classes.  The woman with the BA had to put in about three times the effort to maintain grades.

AgG:
ya go science, of course it depends on what you want to do in the long run...

mike:
In Australia you would need a bachelor of science degree as it is quite rare for someone to major in a science field while studing a BA.

Interestingly we don't really have many grad schools either, with most universities being both grad and undergrad schools, as well as offering medical degrees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version