March 29, 2024, 11:57:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: College question: Majoring in Chemistry  (Read 12975 times)

unleash10

College question: Majoring in Chemistry
« on: November 08, 2005, 05:04:12 PM »
Hi I have a few questions about majoring in chemistry.

1) What are the benefits of having a bachelor of science vs arts in chemistry?

2) Does it matter which one I have if I plan on going to med school/ grad school?

I don't think this matters, but I am attending UC Davis this fall.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:College question: Majoring in Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 05:11:30 PM »
Your grades, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and research experience far outweighs whether you get into grad school than your bachelors of science vs. bachelors of arts degree.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 09:41:45 AM »
As Mitch indicated, your individual effort will outweigh any title.  However, many of the old-timers favor a science degree over an arts degree and I do also.  The primary basis is the number of technical credits that make up your degree.  This can have a marked effect on your preparedness level in grad school.  I was in a materials science program with students from several disciplines (engineering, chemistry, physics).  One person I was in a class with had a Chem Eng degree.  His course curriculum required 118 credits out of about 130 in physics, math or engineering.  Another student had a BA in Chemistry and her curriculum required about 75 credits out of 130 in technical classes (the rest can be pottery, Art, History, English etc).  That equates to about an extra year and a half of techical skill given the same level of input from each student.  It showed during the first year of classes.  The woman with the BA had to put in about three times the effort to maintain grades.

AgG

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 01:53:05 AM »
ya go science, of course it depends on what you want to do in the long run...

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 08:22:31 PM »
In Australia you would need a bachelor of science degree as it is quite rare for someone to major in a science field while studing a BA.

Interestingly we don't really have many grad schools either, with most universities being both grad and undergrad schools, as well as offering medical degrees.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 02:36:00 AM »
i would say chemistry is a good pre-med choice.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

americanstrat4

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:41:37 PM »
I can't speak as to what a med school will desire from you as a student; however, I do know that chemistry is a desired discipline for a career within the medical field.  Each med school will have its individual preference as to who they decide to admit.  Your MCAT score, what courses you've taken in high school through your senior year in college, your volunteer work, and experience in the fields of both your major as well as medicine often dictate acceptance.  Med schools commonly desire experience in humanitarian action or a medical field before a student enters med school. Schools often look for diverse applicants who cooperate well with others and work diligently as an individual.  They want to find those who will seek to further the medical profession by enriching the lives of patients and communities through medical practice.  True doctors are brilliant in all walks of life, science, literature, humanities, and more.

To truly answer your question, yes the chemistry major would be beneficial in your application to med school, especially if you have an excellent understanding of biochemistry - as it is essential that doctors are able to understand how specific medications alter biological systems within the human body.

If you are seeking to apply to med school in the future, I would, as others have said, back your degree by experience.  Many people major, but it is those who have done significant work in the process of obtaining such a major who stand out as applicants.  I would also seek to volunteer in some area of medicine, perhaps as a laboratory tech, EMT, or assistant in a hospital.  This will give you valuable experience on the path to a medical career and in life in general.

I hope I offered some logical insight!

Regards

Sponsored Links