April 28, 2024, 03:43:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility question  (Read 11610 times)

Offline blueberries

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solubility question
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
Hi, I'm self-studying for the MCATs and I came across this question that isn't making sense to me. Any help is appreciated. :)

The Passage basically lists a series of reactions where the precipitates PbSO4, PbI2, and PbCO3 are formed (in that order).

The question:
A soluble form of Pb2+ can be carefully added to a solution to sequentially precipitate and separate anions present in the solution. When Pb2+ is added, what order will the following anions be precipitated?

The answer:
The rxns described in the passage show that lead(II) is successively precipitated as PbSO4, PbI2, and PbCO3. This sequence shows (assuming equal anion concentrations as must be done here) that PbCO3 is less soluble than PbI2, and PbI2 is less soluble than PbSO4. The order in which the anions precipitate Pb2+ is: CO32- then I- then SO42-.

My question:
I don't understand where they get that the order of precipitation is CO32- then I- then SO42-. Why isn't it SO42- then I- then CO32- (because that's the order the precipitates were formed during the rxn series)??

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
Re: Solubility question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
If there is no prior background information given, such as solubility constants, it is very hard to judge relative solubility between compounds deemed "insoluble". I only know because of intuition.

Using solubility constants, it is a matter of taking square roots and cube roots.

Offline PIQgoogleme

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
Sounds like a poorly worded question...

but I think "When Pb2+ is added, what order will the following anions be precipitated?" is their way of saying "which of the anions will yield the most precipitate?"

Since the passage it listed I- as replacing SO42-, and CO32- as replacing I-, we know that the carbonate is the favored precipitate, and thus it will form in greatest quantity.

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:30 PM »
I am confused because I fail to see how lead iodide precipitates before lead sulfate. After comparing the solubility constants, I see that lead sulfate is less soluble, and therefore should precipitate first. Perhaps this is an error?

Offline gertrudetrumpet

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:07 PM »
The reaction is probably with lead ions in solution. Then sulfate is added. Then iodide is added. Then carbonate is added. They are not separate reactions I think, but in the same container.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:07:34 AM »
The way I read it you have a solution containing all three anions and you slowly add lead, precipitating each anion separately. That would precipitate carbonate first, sulfate second, iodide third.

But I agree wording is confusing and not clear.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline blueberries

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:52:16 PM »
There were no solubility constants given. I kind of agree with PIQgoogleme in that I think the question is poorly worded, but asking which anion will yield the most precipitate. No solubility constants were given.

Here is all the information given in the passage, if it helps:

A series of chemical rxns were carried out to study the chemistry of lead.

Rxn 1
Initially 15.0 mmL of 0.300 M Pb(NO3)2(aq) was mixed with 15.0 mL of .300 M Na2SO4(aq). All the Pb(NO3)2 reacted to form Compound A, a white precipitate. Compound A was removed by filtration.
(I established that Compound A is PbSO4)

Rxn2
Next, 15.0 mL of 0.300 M KI(aq) was added to Compound A. The mixture was agitated and some of Compound A dissolved. In addition, a yellow precipitate of PbI2(s) was formed.

Rxn3
The PbI2(s) was separated and mixed with 15.0 mL of 0.300 M Na2CO3 (aq). A white precipitate of PbCO3(s) formed. All of the PbI2(s) was convered into PbCO3(s).

Rxn4
The PbCO3(s) was removed by filtration and a small sample gave off a gas when treated with dilute HCl.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »
which anion will yield the most precipitate

No, it doesn't ask about yields, but about order:

what order will the following anions be precipitated?

Without any further analysis from the third reaction it is obvious carbonate will precipitate before iodide. The only thing that is not clear at the first sight is when will the sulfate precipitate.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline blueberries

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »
Ok, but why is it clear that carbonate will precipitate first? I don't understand where the order is coming from.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »
All of the PbI2(s) was convered into PbCO3(s).

That clearly means carbonate has much lower solubility than iodide.

Ok, but why is it clear that carbonate will precipitate first?

First of iodide and carbonate, not necessarily of all three.

Actually it will precipitate first of all three as well, but I know if it after checking with Ksp values.

Offline blueberries

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »
Ok, I understand now why Carbonate is first, don't really understand sulfate as much, but I'm ok with that. It's just one practice question.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Offline boobyrayray

• Very New Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
It's all in the wording. Pay close attention to how they hint what the solubility is. From A to PbI2, the passage says that only some of Compound A dissolved. From PbI2 to PbCO3, the passage says that all of the PbI2 was converted.

If all the PbI2 was converted to PbCO3, we know that Ksp is favoring the production of PbCO3, and therefore PbCO3 is less soluble and will favorably precipitate.

If only some of compound A dissolved to form PbI2, this is an indication that Ksp is not as favorable towards the production of PbI2. This reaction favors Compound A as a ppt over PbI2, meaning that PbI2 is more soluble.

In conclusion, CO3 2- is least soluble and will ppt first, followed by I- and SO4 2- respectively.

Sponsored Links