April 19, 2024, 01:52:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermodynamics of gases  (Read 2733 times)

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
Thermodynamics of gases
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »
A liquid has a vapor pressure of 40 mmHg at 19.0 C and a normal boiling point of 78.3 C. What is its enthalpy of vaporization in kJ/mol?

In the beginning pages of this test is this formula:

ln K = (- :delta: H)(1/RT) + c

However, I am at a loss for what this means. I realize it is a manipulation of the formulas  :delta: G =  :delta: H - T :delta: S and  :delta: G = -RT ln K, but I do not know what the value of c is or its origin.

Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and one more question:
Which forms the most alkaline solution when added to water?
A) Al2O3 B) B2O3 C) CO2 D) SiO2

I can immediately rule out carbon dioxide as it forms carbonic acid. Silicon dioxide is also known as quartz, and I know not of any significant reactions between water and it. I would assume that boron trioxide would form boric acid. However, isn't aluminum oxide insoluble in water? Would the negligible amount of solid dissolved be considered the most alkaline solution?

Offline PIQgoogleme

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Thermodynamics of gases
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »
First problem: read up on the Clausius-Clapeyron equation

lnP2/P1= -Delta H/R vap (1/T2 - 1/T1)

-->

(R*lnP2/P1)/(1/T1 - 1/T2) = Delta Hvap

Second problem:
The more metallic the element, the more basic the oxide. Pretty sure it's as simple as that. C and D definitely don't work. Pretty sure B doesn't either. Maybe under really high temperatures Aluminum Oxide reacts with water?

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
Re: Thermodynamics of gases
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply! When I googled the formula, I couldn't find the name. Now I know it's called the Clausius-Clapeyron equation.

Sponsored Links