April 26, 2024, 05:54:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NMR of cyclohexene oxide  (Read 11168 times)

Offline missUK11

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
NMR of cyclohexene oxide
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »
What are the different proton environments for cyclohexene oxide and the splitting patterns too...im sooooo confused HELLLPP PLEASE!!!

Offline dipesh747

• Mole Snacks: +7/-7
Re: NMR of cyclohexene oxide
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
You need to read around the rules of 1 H NMR. You can't learn it all on a forum. Get an NMR book, I'm sure this website will recommend a good one.

Here is an approximation of what the spectra will look like to help you with this problem though. Be aware it is only an approximation, but it should give you an idea of different proton environments etc.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
What are the different proton environments for cyclohexene oxide and the splitting patterns too...im sooooo confused HELLLPP PLEASE!!!

For different environments, at a simple level, if you replace a proton with something else, do you get exactly the same compound or not?

Offline missUK11

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
You need to read around the rules of 1 H NMR. You can't learn it all on a forum. Get an NMR book, I'm sure this website will recommend a good one.

Here is an approximation of what the spectra will look like to help you with this problem though. Be aware it is only an approximation, but it should give you an idea of different proton environments etc.

I understand the rules of H NMR a little, im just a little confused ...would the protons on the ring at each carbon( e.g. the ones highlighted red )be in the same environment? and if so they would be split into a quartet right?? and the two protons hightlighted blue would be in the same environment too ?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »

I understand the rules of H NMR a little, im just a little confused ...would the protons on the ring at each carbon( e.g. the ones highlighted red )be in the same environment? and if so they would be split into a quartet right?? and the two protons hightlighted blue would be in the same environment too ?

The two blue protons are in the same environment, but not the red ones. One of the pairs of the red ones is cis to the epoxide, and the other trans. Even if the red were the same they would not be split into a quartet - why do you think that?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
I have locked your other thread at
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=57240.0
forum rules no cross posting
if someone posted over there it would have been confusing

Offline missUK11

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »

The two blue protons are in the same environment, but not the red ones. One of the pairs of the red ones is cis to the epoxide, and the other trans. Even if the red were the same they would not be split into a quartet - why do you think that?

I really dont understand why the two red protons are not in the same environment, please help me understand it!!..and so what would one of the protons be split into if its not a quartet? because the neighbouring carbons have a total of 3 protons and so i would think it would be a quartet :/

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »
I really dont understand why the two red protons are not in the same environment, please help me understand it!!..and so what would one of the protons be split into if its not a quartet? because the neighbouring carbons have a total of 3 protons and so i would think it would be a quartet :/

Make a model. You should see that one of the protons is on the same side of the carbon-carbon bond as the epoxide, and the other is on the opposite side.

As to why it is not a quartet, the proton on the epoxide is not the same as the protons on the carbon on the other side. So it may be that it appears to be a quartet, by coincidence the J values could be the same, but this is not a general rule. Each of the protons attached to the carbon next to the epoxide has 4 distinct neighbours, so it is probably best described as a ddddd.

Sponsored Links