April 25, 2024, 07:40:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: indicators  (Read 5651 times)

chemicalLindsay

indicators
« on: June 05, 2004, 02:31:35 AM »
hey does anyone know any good acid/base indicators that can be made from vegetables and any other houshold items so that i  can have an indicator for my tritration experiments that I want to carry out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 02:33:22 AM by chemicalLindsay »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:indicators
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:09:54 AM »
Have you seen those purple-coloured cabbage in the market or supermarket?

You can extract the purple pigment by boiling it inside ethanol via a water bath. This pigment can be used as an indicator. Think you might need to calibrate it to know what colour it is to represent a particular pH range.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 11:46:48 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 03:20:05 AM »
know ethanol is a hydrocarbon and basically is alcohol isn't it.So in order to make it for boiling in a water bath (what is that?) I would probably have to distill it from beer or something like that which could be dangerous (explosive) and very hard so I am not going to do it.The question is ,are there any other safer ways to make an acid/base indicator out of fruits and vegetable etc.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 06:03:13 AM »
You could get your parents to buy you some Everclear--it's just grain alcohol.  However, you could probably get the same effect with rubbing alcohol, which is isopropanol.  The red cabbage indicator is a pretty good one, and if you look up 'red cabbage indicator' on google, I bet you can find some pretty good writeups for it.  The university I used to teach at used to use the red cabbage indicator in the first year labs.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 09:31:39 PM »
Yeah, ethanol is just ethyl alcohol which is drinking alcohol.  Grain alcohol purchased from a liquor store is 95% pure ethanol, and it's as strong as you can get it without doing some pretty nasty distillation/chemical reactions.  Isopropanol will almost certainly work just as well with this, and you can get pure isopropanol from a drug store.  (Rubbing alcohol).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 11:45:53 PM »
You can extract the purple pigment by boiling it inside ethanol via a water bath.

I had meant warming the big tube of ethanol inside a water bath, so as to avoid direct flame.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 01:48:35 AM »
Thanks I have allready found some really good recipees on how to make it!

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Natural indicators
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 11:53:48 PM »
In case people are interested in making it at home the cabbage can just be boiled in water, there is no need to use ethanol :)
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links