April 18, 2024, 07:45:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do I know how many oxygen molecules are needed in a redox reaction?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Tensdale

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have to calculate the balanced formula for gasoline; C8H18 (I know it's a extremely simplified formula) when it has been burned.

And I'm completely lost here. I have no idea how to calculate how much O is needed to calculate the difference between a complete and uncomplete combustion.
Do I just chose a number or?

EDIT: Okay, so I've sort of figured out how many O molecules I need.
I need 16 O to make CO2 out of the 8 carbon. And I need 9 O to make H2O out of the 18 H. So 25 in all. How do I write this? Because I'm pretty sure I need dioxygen. But I can't really write C8H18 + 12,5 O2.
And C8H18 + 25O, looks.... Off.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:46:15 AM by Tensdale »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
12.5O2 is OK - at least during balancing. Final step is to change coefficients so that they become the smallest possible integers. In this case just multiply everything by 2, yielding 2C8H18 + 25O2...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Tensdale

Ah, yes. That's what I forgot.

THANK YOU  ;D

EDIT: Oh, wait. Before I forget, why exactly is it that I need dioxygen? Why will it not work with just 25O?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Oxygen (as several other gases - N2, halogens) is present at STP as diatomic molecules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Tensdale

And what does that mean in english?
(I'm being teached in another language, so if you don't spell it out for me, I have have no idea what you're talking about)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:22:49 AM by Tensdale »

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
Instead of existing as singular O atoms, they exist as O2 where the oxygen forms a double bond with another oxygen. This is how it occurs naturally.

Sponsored Links