April 19, 2024, 02:47:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ka to concentrations of NaOH and HCl  (Read 18916 times)

Offline AlphaHelix

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ka to concentrations of NaOH and HCl
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »
so i commited to an experiment where i titrated a 0.1000 M solution of HCl with a 0.1000 M of HCl. what i need to find is the concentration of H+ vs my concentration of HCl. (i am finding percent dissociation. i collected pH data and i found it's equivalence point at 6.58 pH. so i found that it's hydronium concentraton is 2.63 x 10^-7 at it's equivalence point. now i just need my HCl concentration. so now i have a pKa value of 6.58 (pKa = pH at equivalence point) making it's Ka value the same as that of my pH 2.63 x 10^-7. so now that i have my Ka value and my hydronium value i was considering making an "ICE" box to find my HA value but this is my conundrum:
                    HCl + NaOH -> H2O + NaCl
with this kind of equation i am working with my Ka should be NaCl/[HCl][NaOH]. but my Ka should look like this: Ka = [H+][A-]/[HA]. in the equation above i don't even know where to put my calculated hydronium value. i am so lost. basically my overall question is: how do i find my HCl concentration from my Ka and hydronium values?

Offline XGen

• Mole Snacks: +9/-4
Re: Ka to concentrations of NaOH and HCl
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »
Instead of having HCl + NaOH -> H2O + NaCl, try writing a net ionic equation.

Offline AlphaHelix

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Instead of having HCl + NaOH -> H2O + NaCl, try writing a net ionic equation.
okay but i don't know what that is :(

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:37:21 AM »
You are wrong in so many aspects I have no idea where to start.

First of all - what are you trying to determine?

Hydrochloric is a very strong acid, which means it is always 100% dissociated. Depending on the source its dissociation constant is listed as 103-107. There is no accurate value, because it is very difficult to determine Ka of such a strong acid experimentally. For sure it can't be done by a simple titration.

(pKa = pH at equivalence point)

No, that's not true. pKa = pH at HALF equivalence, when exactly 50% of the acid is neutralized. But it works only for weak acids, not for a strong acid like HCl.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links