April 28, 2024, 07:46:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Refractive Index  (Read 4068 times)

bubblyporcupine

Refractive Index
« on: November 11, 2005, 01:24:48 PM »
Alright I got this question wrong and I'm curious as to the reason why.

The refractive index of a liquid is (significantly) dependent on which experimental variables?

Dependent on temperature
 Dependent on pressure
 Not dependent on volume
 Dependent on wavelength

I know temperature and pressure are for sure factors, I don't think volume matters all that much and doesn't the angle change with a different wavelength so that's important too.

Can you guys point out why this is wrong?
thanks  :)

newmiasis

Re:Refractive Index
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 03:26:13 PM »
well I'm not exactly sure how accurate this is, but if you do a take a refractive index and don't put enough liquid in, you will get poor results; I have seen other students in my class suffer from this. I'm not sure what the effect of adding too much liquid would be. I think it would be safe to say that there's an optimum volume of liquid, which is why you have probably been told to use x drops of unknown, etc.

GCT

Re:Refractive Index
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 06:27:16 PM »
Alright I got this question wrong and I'm curious as to the reason why.

The refractive index of a liquid is (significantly) dependent on which experimental variables?

Dependent on temperature
 Dependent on pressure
 Not dependent on volume
 Dependent on wavelength

I know temperature and pressure are for sure factors, I don't think volume matters all that much and doesn't the angle change with a different wavelength so that's important too.

Can you guys point out why this is wrong?
thanks  :)

it's dependent on temperature, shoot a laser in a sample medium and you'll have a density gradient....diverging lens.  Wavelength factor refers to normal dispersion phoenomena (yes it's dependent).  Not dependent on volume, rather density.  I don't think that pressure has a significant effect on the density of a liquid...not sure about this one.

Sponsored Links