March 28, 2024, 06:35:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the difference bewteen silica and sephadex column chromatography  (Read 8901 times)

Offline magnetic111

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Im not sure when I should be using sephadex column chromatography or silica gel column chromatography to separate compounds?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Silica gel chromatography separates molecules based on their relative attraction to silica, which is generally greater for more polar molecules than for less polar molecules.  Sephadex is often used to separate molecules (especially biomolecules) on the basis of size.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
What are you trying to separate?  It would be easier to figure out the best strategy with a specific case.

Offline magnetic111

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
We weren't given a specific sample to separate.  It is a question put to us by our lecturer...

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Then can you use the information already given to you by Babcock_Hall: to create a sample for each type of column?  Pick two compounds that are separate-able based on the chemical interactions mentioned.  This would be a great way to prepare for an upcoming exam, you can use your custom made examples in a definition.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links