April 29, 2024, 07:31:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what exactly is a VSEPR shape?  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Ann1234

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
what exactly is a VSEPR shape?
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:55:15 PM »
Hello =)

I am confused with the meaning of VSEPR shape-I know the theory helps to find electron and molecular geometries and I know the difference between them, but I have a problem that asks for "VSEPR shapes of the following molecules"

Do they want both, electron geometry and molecular geometry? (until now I though VSEPR shape was the electron geometry now I am not sure)

Can someone clarify this for me...thanks!

Offline grs35

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: what exactly is a VSEPR shape?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »
there are five basic shapes but if you can write the question as it is we could help more.

Offline Ann1234

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
there are five basic shapes but if you can write the question as it is we could help more.

sure thanks- this is the problem:

For each of the following molecules, draw and name the VSEPR shape and indicate whether the molecule is polar or non-polar.

NH3, CCL4, SI2, CS2

Offline grs35

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »
ok. so you will draw the shape of the molecules considering their bond angles. and name the each molecule such as : tetrahydral, linear etc. think about the 3D structure of the molecules. you can guess it by using the bonds and lone pair electrons.

Offline Ann1234

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »
ok but my only question is---do you draw both electron and geometry shapes?

like for example NH3: the electron geometry is tetrahedral and the molecular geometry is trigonal pyramidal.

I know how to get the shapes, my doubt is what do they want when they ask for a "VSEPR" shape

They want:
1) both electron and geometry shape?
2) only geometry shape?
3) only electron shape?

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »

like for example NH3: the electron geometry is tetrahedral and the molecular geometry is trigonal pyramidal.

I know how to get the shapes, my doubt is what do they want when they ask for a "VSEPR" shape

They want:
2) only geometry shape?
3) only electron shape?

By VSEPR shape one usually means the shape of the structure AXNEZ, where A is the central atom, and E the alone pair. For NH3E the VSEPR shape is tetrahedral (as you correctly notice) and this explains why the molecular geometry is trigonal pyramidal.

For BH3E0 the VSEPR shape is trigonal planar and coincides with the molecular geometry because there are not alone pairs.
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:35 PM »
VSEPR method consists a set of simple rules based on the results of quantum-chemical calculations - hence you get electronic configuation around examined atom (from main groups of elements ie s and p blocks)  firstly. This configuration is very often considered as hybridization of atom eg. sp2, dsp3 and so on. Since electron pairs or single electrons show small volumes in relation to atoms or substituents, for physical shape  of molecule (you call it - geometry shape) they are neglected.

The description  AXNEZ gives you information  about N+Z directions where electrons (bonded or nonbonded) around atom A can be found. The arrangement of electrons and substituents should minimize energy of repulsion (rules 120 and 90 degrees).

An that is all. You should memmorize a few basic shapes, and angle rules - then you can predict real shape almost all molecules with A atom coming from s or p block of elements (almost all because this is a simple set of rules, but not a general theory).
AWK

Offline grs35

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »

They want:
2) only geometry shape?
3) only electron shape?

i will give some examples.

electron geometry : trigonal bipyramidal, octahedral etc.

molecular geometry : linear, square planar, tshaped, seesaw etc.

Offline Ann1234

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »

VSEPR method consists a set of simple rules based on the results of quantum-chemical calculations - hence you get electronic configuation around examined atom (from main groups of elements ie s and p blocks)  firstly. This configuration is very often considered as hybridization of atom eg. sp2, dsp3 and so on. Since electron pairs or single electrons show small volumes in relation to atoms or substituents, for physical shape  of molecule (you call it - geometry shape) they are neglected.

so you think VSEPR shape = is "molecular geometry shape" and does not include lone pairs"

I looked at many charts from different sources and some call "vespr shapes" to molecular geometry and others call vsepr shape to electron geometry..." sigh."

Offline Ann1234

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »

They want:
2) only geometry shape?
3) only electron shape?

i will give some examples.

electron geometry : trigonal bipyramidal, octahedral etc.

molecular geometry : linear, square planar, tshaped, seesaw etc.

I concluded that vsepr shape= is the shape of the molecule considering atoms and taking into acount lone pairs using the vsepr theory.

I realized this by looking at the following problem:

1) Predict the VSEPR geometries around the N atoms in ammonia
2) Predict the shapes around the N atoms in ammonia.

1) "vsepr geometry" will be the electron geometry for ammonia (tetrahedral)

2) "predict the shape" = molecular shape = molecular geometry= trigonal pyramidal

thank you all for the help :)

Sponsored Links