April 20, 2024, 11:40:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Permanganate removal of DOC and THM  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Crooked

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Permanganate removal of DOC and THM
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »
My apologies if this does not fit in the general section. Please point me in the right direction if it doesn't belong here.

I am to run an experiment to attempt to quantify the ability of permanganate (KMnO4 will likely be used) to remove DOC and reduce Trihalomethane (THM) formation. Additional solutions will also be spiked with either ferric chloride or alum as a coagulant. The water sample to be used has been pulled directly from a major river. Now, the experiment mostly makes sense to me but I'm struggling with looking into analysis methods.

I plan to use a GC-ECD to test for THM formation by first dosing the sample with bleach (I believe to simulate water treatment disinfection and form THM), before extracting with hexane for the GC. My main question here is if it is necessary to filter the water I skim off from the jar?

My major issue comes with DOC. I for sure have access to a UV/Vis device. I am unsure, however, how to create standards and analyze solutions for DOC with just permanganate, and with permanganate+coagulant. I've come across lots of information indicating the need to measure at 254nm, but but have not found much regarding sample/standards prep. Finally, is adding the permanganate directly to the samples acceptable, or do they need to be titrated with an acid/base (I might be confusing different methods/sources here). I may have access to a DOC measuring device (if it is working).

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Permanganate removal of DOC and THM
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:11:38 AM »
My apologies if this does not fit in the general section. Please point me in the right direction if it doesn't belong here.

I am to run an experiment to attempt to quantify the ability of permanganate (KMnO4 will likely be used) to remove DOC and reduce Trihalomethane (THM) formation. Additional solutions will also be spiked with either ferric chloride or alum as a coagulant. The water sample to be used has been pulled directly from a major river. Now, the experiment mostly makes sense to me but I'm struggling with looking into analysis methods.

I plan to use a GC-ECD to test for THM formation by first dosing the sample with bleach (I believe to simulate water treatment disinfection and form THM), before extracting with hexane for the GC. My main question here is if it is necessary to filter the water I skim off from the jar?

My major issue comes with DOC. I for sure have access to a UV/Vis device. I am unsure, however, how to create standards and analyze solutions for DOC with just permanganate, and with permanganate+coagulant. I've come across lots of information indicating the need to measure at 254nm, but but have not found much regarding sample/standards prep. Finally, is adding the permanganate directly to the samples acceptable, or do they need to be titrated with an acid/base (I might be confusing different methods/sources here). I may have access to a DOC measuring device (if it is working).

I may be a bit silly but what are DOC and THM?
In any case I would remove the water before injecting onto the GC, which I believe stands for Gas Chromatograph?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »
DOC http://www.acronymfinder.com/2%2c5_Dimethoxy_4_Chloroamphetamine-%28DOC%29.html
THM Trihalomethan like Chloroform CHCl3

Thanks, I thought DOC was Dissolved Organic Compounds! And THM was tetra-hydro-m…….. can't think of one! ;D
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:47:08 AM »
Thanks, I thought DOC was Dissolved Organic Compounds

Probably this is also correct

Sponsored Links