April 24, 2024, 01:51:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nitration of Benzimidazole  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Dodeca wolfram

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nitration of Benzimidazole
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
Hello
I have been doing the nitration of this compound despite the fact that the reaction time and the volumes of the nitration mix were varying.

So I have made the nitration reagent  1:1 (HNO3/H2SO4) and I made two reactions one went on for 5 minutes total the other 2 hours. The temperature was kept under 50 Celsius to restrict the formation of dinitro compounds.

The product was matching roughly the melting point of the target compound, but i have to yet determine if the Major product has the nitro group on the 5 position . The outcome was very similar for both reactions how ever afther measuring IR spectra the nitro group was not clearly there . There were band that could belong to the nitro group but in comparison to other compounds with nitro substitute. I was comparing the shape and positions on 5-nitro-1,10-phenantroline .

So my question is mostly about if my nitration and maybe about the nitro IR bands that seem to be off .

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: Nitration of Benzimidazole
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
I have no idea what you're asking.

Is your question about the nitration procedure? The regioselectivity? Or interpretation of the IR spectrum and good standards to compare it to?
Individual results may vary

Sponsored Links