April 23, 2024, 06:36:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alkyne to Aldehyde mechanism  (Read 3166 times)

Offline rengb6

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Alkyne to Aldehyde mechanism
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
Hello! Ok I have a quick question. What alkyne that does not contain O is best used to make the compound shown? The product is : H3C-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 with a double bonded O on the second to last Carbon (the last CH2). So my attempt at a solution was to do hydroboration-oxidation of the alkyne and while that does produce this product it also produces another product. Can any one help me think of another reaction that might work? I have tried adding big groups like Br on one side of the alkene so that maybe it would favor a specific carbon but that didnt work. I must also keep that tripple bond between carbons 3 and 4. Also, I tried Hydration and it didn't work either. Thanks!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Alkyne to Aldehyde mechanism
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:18:54 AM »
Hello! Ok I have a quick question. What alkyne that does not contain O is best used to make the compound shown? The product is : H3C-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 with a double bonded O on the second to last Carbon (the last CH2). So my attempt at a solution was to do hydroboration-oxidation of the alkyne and while that does produce this product it also produces another product. Can any one help me think of another reaction that might work? I have tried adding big groups like Br on one side of the alkene so that maybe it would favor a specific carbon but that didnt work. I must also keep that tripple bond between carbons 3 and 4. Also, I tried Hydration and it didn't work either. Thanks!

Perhaps you could draw out your reaction, it will make your question clearer to follow.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Alkyne to Aldehyde mechanism
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
I agree with discodermolide.  Your title suggests that you want to make an aldehyde, but your text suggests you want to make a ketone.

Sponsored Links