March 28, 2024, 04:50:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Identifying Lab Glassware (Pics)  (Read 6582 times)

Offline tstimbert

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Identifying Lab Glassware (Pics)
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
I've recently acquired a ton of lab glass from a state auction. I've done pretty well identifying them up until now. These are the last four that Google just doesn't want me to identify. A little help, please?

Pyrex 500ml round bulb (?) with hose inlet on the bottom.

Super tiny...things. DO in red letters. Resembles a 3-way adapter for ants.

Looks like a pipette on steroids. Has a large bulb about 3/4 up the piece, 50ml graduations, and tubulation on bottom. Measures about 2 feet in length. Other than graduations, only markings are Fisher USA 20° C .

Looks somewhat like a narrow Buchner funnel with a curved stem. Has two holes near top, one on each side. Measures 3.25 inches in length, total.

I appreciate any answers that come back!

Offline Extracted

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Re: Identifying Lab Glassware (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:04:14 AM »
I've recently acquired a ton of lab glass from a state auction. I've done pretty well identifying them up until now. These are the last four that Google just doesn't want me to identify. A little help, please?

1. Pyrex 500ml round bulb (?) with hose inlet on the bottom.

Part of a hydrogenation apparatus.  The bulb was partly filled with a fluid like silicone oil and connected to a gas buret.  It was used to provide pressure equalization for a gas buret.

Looks like a pipette on steroids. Has a large bulb about 3/4 up the piece, 50ml graduations, and tubulation on bottom. Measures about 2 feet in length. Other than graduations, only markings are Fisher USA 20° C .

This is the gas buret.  Useful for determining exact amounts of hydrogen used in hydrogenations.

Looks somewhat like a narrow Buchner funnel with a curved stem. Has two holes near top, one on each side. Measures 3.25 inches in length, total.

This part of a solid/liquid extraction apparatus.  This piece was placed beneath the condenser (open end up!) and condensate dripped into it until it filled to the level equal to the top of the curved portion of the side tube, whereupon it siphons, completely discharging the condensate and anything leached from the sample.  A porous thimble is placed inside the apparatus which contains the sample to be extracted.

Offline tstimbert

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Identifying Lab Glassware (Pics)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
Thanks, Extracted; your response was extremely helpful. Any clues as to the official name to #4, the mini Soxhlet? I probably won't get much use out of all those, so I was hoping to either sell them or donate them to my old high school.

Thanks again, I'm back on the right track with naming these!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:40:32 PM by tstimbert »

Sponsored Links