April 26, 2024, 12:05:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Professor behavior standards  (Read 4102 times)

Offline lkjh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Professor behavior standards
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »
Say a professor also happens to enjoy the clubbing scene and picking up early 20s women.

Should the professor accidentally approach or pickup a student without knowing it.  But the student realizes it is a professor either just at her university, or one that has or is actively teaching her.

What happens?  Is it a problem for said professor's career?

This was a question posed by a friend who just accepted a professorship in california, is 32 and hits the town like mad on the weekends.  He is worried he will accidentally pick up a student of his.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Professor behavior standards
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:38 PM »
The university likely has rules regarding this, generally, that they shouldn't, but YMMV.  Seems to me, the "accidental" pick-up seems a little silly.  I suppose its possible in a large lecture hall of students, to not see every face.  But once you know someone well, it should become obvious to the people involved, and they could mutually agree to abide by the rules.  Obviously, if nosy people in administration watch the professors like hawks, then they could be caught unawares.  But there's probably a review process for infractions.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »
A lot of prof/student relationship stuff is covered under Title IX, but I don't know how an accidental hookup goes.  I don't know how likely of a scenario this is, seems like you'd have to be in a small town with only a couple of local hangouts for this to be likely.

Probably best for you to tell your buddy to curb his nights out and be extra careful when he does.  If he doesn't like it he should look into another profession, this comes with the territory.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:26 AM »
Should the professor accidentally approach or pickup a student without knowing it.

I recommend a precoital conversation to exchange pleasantries such as occupation and perhaps name.

In any case, a profession involving teaching is not compatible with a reputation for the predatory pursual of young women (or men). Your friend would have to be very careful.

As far as I'm aware, in the UK, staff-student relationships are strongly discouraged, but not prohibited unless the student is directly taught or assessed by that member of staff.

Depends on the institution.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 05:16:46 AM »
Club in a city 1 hour away?

Sponsored Links