April 23, 2024, 12:12:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid Catalyzed Hydration of 1-pentene  (Read 5091 times)

Offline rsh28

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acid Catalyzed Hydration of 1-pentene
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:26 AM »
I know that the acid Catalyzed Hydration of 1-pentene gives 2-pentanol
But my question is do the products include stereoisomers since 2-pentanol is chiral , and we do have a carbocation being formed which is planar and can be attacked from both sides.

My book mentions 2-pentanol as the product ( it does not say anything about enantiomers or sterioisomers)

Please help

Question 2 : When a reaction is steriospecific ( unlike this reaction ) does that mean we will only have 1 product

Thank you in advance

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Acid Catalyzed Hydration of 1-pentene
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 06:37:09 AM »
1. Yes, you will get racemic pentan-2-ol.
2. A reaction is stereospecific if the configuration of the starting material determines the configuration of the product - ie that the configuration is in some way completely transferred to the product. It is associated with mechanistic constraints, such as the requirement of inversion in SN2 reactions. The formal definition is that if you take two different stereoisomers of a compound and subject them to the same conditions, you get a different stereoisomeric product in each case:

http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/iupac/stereo/RS.html#51

So I suppose in answer to you question regarding whether you get one product, in terms of stereochemistry - yes , stereospecific reactions give one stereoisomer only.

It's important to note the difference between stereospecific and stereoselective. You can have a reaction that is >99% stereoselective, but that does not mean it is stereospecific. To be stereospecific it must be only mechanistically possible to form one stereoisomer - e.g. SN2 cannot proceed with retention of configuration, only inversion.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links