April 16, 2024, 02:18:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Deprotonation of a terminal alkyne  (Read 11246 times)

Offline asa029

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Deprotonation of a terminal alkyne
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:09:28 AM »
Hi everyone!

I want to deprotonate a terminal alkyne and react it with an aldehyde to give the Favorskii adduct. I am therefore looking for suitable bases to do this reaction. Everyone always talks about sodium amide (NaNH2) or LDA. I have worked with LDA before and it's not my best friend, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with sodium amide in this type of reaction (especially concerning handling).

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
Re: Deprotonation of a terminal alkyne
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:39:42 AM »
Unless you have other sensitive functionality on your alkyne, you can just butyl lithium directly, then quench with your aldehyde to get your 1,2-addition adduct.

Offline superg

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:07 AM »
n-BuLi works well, at 0°C in THF. i'll on consider using LDA if there is possibility of addition on another part of your molecule.

just wondering: by adding a lithio acetylide on an aldehyde, won't you get the corresponding propargylic alcohol?

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 05:56:58 AM »
just wondering: by adding a lithio acetylide on an aldehyde, won't you get the corresponding propargylic alcohol?

Of course.

Offline asa029

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:22:30 AM »

Of course.

But it will likely enolize into the alfa, beta-unsaturated ketone after quenching with weak acid.

Offline asa029

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:23:26 AM »
Unless you have other sensitive functionality on your alkyne, you can just butyl lithium directly, then quench with your aldehyde to get your 1,2-addition adduct.

I have a tosylate which doesn't love base. One of the professors here said buli would be a "dead end", but he didn't explain why!

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »
Unfortunately, the n-butyl anion is also a good nucleophile. If there are available leaving groups, you will get substitution reactions.

Deprotonated amines are not particularly good nucleophiles and don't typically have this problem.

If you really need a base stronger than metal amides, you can use phenyllithium or in the worst case, t-butyllithium, but t-butyllithium is almost too reactive to handle.

Sponsored Links