April 18, 2024, 07:42:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help identifying IR spectra!!  (Read 3674 times)

Offline dwooten4

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help identifying IR spectra!!
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
I need help identifying components in this ir spectra!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I see that they both have C=O stretches perhaps a benzene ring. I'm confused as to what that peak around 2500 is in one of them. And im not sure why the sp3 stretch is so small for the other one.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Need help identifying IR spectra!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »
You may find it very useful to have a book containing many examples of spectra. Although old, I had continued to use Nakanishi's book as it discussed the absorptions and included many examples you could refer to. I think if you looked at examples of different types of carbonyl groups, you may be able to identify how these may differ.

IR spectra are usually scaled to 100%, so peaks are relative. A strong carbonyl group can make other peaks smaller or if they are more prevalent. If there more hydrogens in one sample than another, for example, they may appear much larger. If a sample doesn't have a carbonyl group (which often scales to 100%), the CH's may appear much larger compared to the next most intense peak. 
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline dwooten4

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Need help identifying IR spectra!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
Ok thanks! So do you have any clue as to what that peak around 2500 might be?

Sponsored Links