March 28, 2024, 03:57:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: best solvent for sulfur  (Read 58848 times)

Offline science2000

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • Bio/Chem Student
best solvent for sulfur
« on: November 17, 2005, 03:01:21 AM »
I want to dissolve some sulfur. I don't have anything fancy, so I can either use denatured alcohol, toluene, or acetone. What's the best?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:best solvent for sulfur
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 08:54:16 AM »
Sulfur really doesn't dissolve all that easily in much of anything, but since it is completely non-polar your best bet would be to try the toluene.  (Though I wouldn't get my hopes up too much).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 11:53:04 AM »
Could sulfur be soluble in CS2 :P ?  That's only a thought....  ??? :(

Offline science2000

• Bio/Chem Student
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 03:31:06 PM »
Sulfur is soluble in CS2, but I have no way of accessing this. It's too toxic anyways.

what about butane from cigarette lighters? That's very nonpolar and much safer than toluene.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 03:32:24 PM by science2000 »

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 07:47:17 AM »
Sulfur is soluble in CS2, but I have no way of accessing this. It's too toxic anyways.

what about butane from cigarette lighters? That's very nonpolar and much safer than toluene.

Well..it's a bit toxic, yeah, but if you have elementar sulfur you can make it just by mixing the sulfur with carbon and heating it.

C + 2S ----Heat------> CS2

Anyway, I'd also think that  butane is not convenient, because you have to work under pressure and because of the fire hazard! Toluene is a good solution.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 01:37:49 PM »
Well..it's a bit toxic, yeah, but if you have elementar sulfur you can make it just by mixing the sulfur with carbon and heating it.

C + 2S ----Heat------> CS2

Anyway, I'd also think that  butane is not convenient, because you have to work under pressure and because of the fire hazard! Toluene is a good solution.

Forget about the synthesis of CS2 at home. It requires really high temperatures.

Toluene is a nice alternative, but only when hot. I've done that personally. Have a look at my website, where the procedure is outlined. It can be scaled up safely.

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/exps/S+toluene/index.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 01:38:41 PM by woelen »
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 08:00:30 PM »
Citing butane as a terrible fire hazard, then suggesting synthesis of CS2, now that is something I have to laugh at a little ;D
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline science2000

• Bio/Chem Student
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 11:11:30 PM »
You're site, woelen, is what inspired me to want to try this experiment. Supposedly sulfur is also somewhat soluble in acetone and other solvents too. I want to use the safest solvent that gives the best results, so I asked. Is toluene ALOT better to use than acetone? Heating these flammable solvents sounds kinda dangerous.

What conditions would ignite butane...besides flames and sparks and heat?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 11:12:35 PM by science2000 »

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 02:30:36 PM »
Toluene is MUCH better than acetone for dissolving sulphur. Sulphur only dissolves in tiny amounts in acetone, but it hardly is worth to mention. Besides that, acetone is more volatile and more flammable. I also did the experiment with acetone, but it simply sucks.
I also did the experiment with ligroin (a mix of low-boiling alkanes, 40-60 degrees centigrade). Sulphur does not dissolve in that at any appreciable amounts. I expect it to be the same with butane.

Heating the toluene is not that dangerous in the way I did this.

I boiled water and then immersed the test tube with sulphur and toluene in the hot water. If you want to do the experiment on a larger scale, then you have to use an electrical water boiler and put your beaker with toluene and sulphur in that. Do NOT use open fire with this experiment.

Making CS2 yourself is VERY mad. CS2 is extremely flammable. Vapor of CS2, going over hot (boiling) water may be ignited already. Acetone, butane and toluene are childrens toys, compared to CS2. It is toxic like hell and flammable like hell.

Have a look at this thread at sciencemadness: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1066

After you have read this, then you'll understand that making CS2 yourself is not feasible, unless you have a really well-equipped home-lab.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 02:33:33 PM by woelen »
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Sponsored Links