April 19, 2024, 01:40:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Carboxylic Acid Synthesis Help  (Read 2167 times)

Offline mAcKoZ

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Carboxylic Acid Synthesis Help
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:15 PM »
hi, i'm in my 3rd quarter and last quarter of ochem and i was wondering how you would finish this synthesis. i broke the ring but i don't really know how to add to the sides
http://imgur.com/eMhzz
First __ to open the (func. group) ___ to a linear molecule. Then excess __ followed by __ workup. Then __ , __ followed by __ and lastly __ to give the desired product.
thanks!

Offline hypervalent_iodine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-1
Re: Carboxylic Acid Synthesis Help
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:48:45 AM »
And how did you open the ring?

You could try looking at this retrosynthetically - i.e. by looking at your starting material and working backwards. Firstly, have a look at how many carbons were in your starting material and see if you can identify them all in your product. Then have a look at the piperidine group at the end. You know you have piperidine in your reagents list, so what ways do you know of to alkylate an amine? What kind of functional group might you need on your starting material for that reaction to occur?

You should be able to work through the rest of your molecule in a similar fashion.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »
The problem I see with this synthesis is to choose at which stage or how you should reduce one of the carbonyl groups to a methylene. Either you will need protection-deprotection or reduction and re-oxidation.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline mAcKoZ

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:56:39 AM »
thanks for the tips. i realized you need to use piperidine to open the ring, i started off wrong, so the steps after it all didn't work.

Sponsored Links