March 28, 2024, 03:06:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How is 2-Butanone Chiral?  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Ayoosh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How is 2-Butanone Chiral?
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:30:09 AM »
OK.... so were just doing  in our class... and I recently bumped into Solomon And Fryle'S ORGANIC CHEMISTRY.

It was mentioned in a section that 2-Butanone is ACHIRAL... well i searched up the internet and found it was not a typo mistake!!!

Question... how can be butanone achiral?... we were taught that if a plane of symmetry is present only then molecule can be called achiral...(it was even mentioned in solomon n fryle book previously)...my prob is i cant find a plane of symetry in 2-butanone which would mean its chiral.... or any such criteria which would make it achiral

Thanks in advance..

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: How is 2-Butanone Chiral?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:03 AM »
OK.... so were just doing  in our class... and I recently bumped into Solomon And Fryle'S ORGANIC CHEMISTRY.

It was mentioned in a section that 2-Butanone is ACHIRAL... well i searched up the internet and found it was not a typo mistake!!!

Question... how can be butanone achiral?... we were taught that if a plane of symmetry is present only then molecule can be called achiral...(it was even mentioned in solomon n fryle book previously)...my prob is i cant find a plane of symetry in 2-butanone which would mean its chiral.... or any such criteria which would make it achiral

Thanks in advance..

What is the geometry, individually, of all the atoms in butanone?

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:10:20 AM »
my prob is i cant find a plane of symetry in 2-butanone which would mean its chiral.... or any such criteria which would make it achiral
How about the plane that cuts it in half.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:22:52 AM »
How about the plane that cuts it in half.

This.  The plane of the paper is still a plane.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links