April 30, 2024, 12:54:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 4-methylpentan-2-one from 4-methylpent-1-ene  (Read 2942 times)

Offline jorbarrientos

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
4-methylpentan-2-one from 4-methylpent-1-ene
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
Hey everyone, i need help with this... they are asking me to form 4-methylpentan-2-one from 4-methylpent-1-ene, but i dont know how to get a cetone from an alkene... the only way i can imagine is using O3 but that doesnt give me the product i want. Thanks

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
Re: 4-methylpentan-2-one from 4-methylpent-1-ene
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
Hey everyone, i need help with this... they are asking me to form 4-methylpentan-2-one from 4-methylpent-1-ene, but i dont know how to get a cetone from an alkene... the only way i can imagine is using O3 but that doesnt give me the product i want. Thanks

What would happen if you hydrolyse the alkene? Can you oxidise the product in anyway?
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline jorbarrientos

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:47:54 AM »
I would get an alcohol... and what would happen if i add a strong base?, i mean, would that cause the oxygen to make the double bond i need or it would stay as O-?... if it stayed as O-, what can i do to force the double bonding? is that possible?

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
What you would do is use acid catalysed hydrolysis. This will give you a secondary carbocation, because it is most stable of the two possible ones that form. Water will attack in to give you a protonated alcohol. Water in solution will remove the proton to give you the secondary alcohol.

At this point, you can use an oxidising agent to oxidise the alcohol to a ketone. There are several oxidising agents you can use to do this, such as potassium dichromate, though this is toxic.
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline jorbarrientos

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
:O thank you so much, your answer was extremely helpful!! already looked it up and understood what you meant THANKS!

Sponsored Links