March 28, 2024, 06:57:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acrylic Resin  (Read 10551 times)

Offline Kane70

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acrylic Resin
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:28:38 AM »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of Acrylic Resin this is. TSRN00195201005-5102P
This product is found in most Tattoo Inks manufactured in the US and i am interested to know the exact makeup of it, any info would be great..

Cheers

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Acrylic Resin
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of Acrylic Resin this is. TSRN00195201005-5102P
This product is found in most Tattoo Inks manufactured in the US and i am interested to know the exact makeup of it, any info would be great..

Cheers

Have a look at the MSDS
http://www.bohemiantattooarts.com/media/uploads/MSDS-sheets-Intenze/grape.pdf
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Kane70

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, i have the MSDS of those inks but i need to know the exact resin that they have used. I have searched for it and and all that comes up is the MSDS for the ink but not the Resin used in it which is what im looking for.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »
I did a Google search just like you probably did and only got the MSDS data for a variety of tattoo inks.  It seems this is a proprietary formulation, and they may want to keep it secret.  Or they may not care, just don't want to talk about it if they don't have to.  What's your question?  Do you want some in bulk to make your own inks?  That might make it hard for you to get an answer if you ask the manufacturer.  Are you concerned about it's general safety?  Because the MSDS for the mixture addresses that.  DO you have some obscure health concern, for example, a specific type of allergy?  Or maybe you have some sort of eco-concern, about this resin's manufacturing practices?  If you ask the manufacturer those sorts of questions, they may give you some hints, or tell you outright.  Heck, they might even tell you the formula itself, if you just ask nicely.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »
If you can find the manufacturer for the resin (not just the manufacturer for the ink, although that might be a starting point) you may be able to search the patent literature to find a patent covering the resins. This might give you some idea of what the resin could be.

And it might be a trade secret because they don't have a patent to cover the material and don't want anybody else knowing what it is.

Offline Kane70

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:49:22 AM »
Thanks for your reply..Yes i am looking to purchase this resin to make my own inks and i think they use this resin to aid the dispersion of the pigment and or to help hold the pigment in solution please correct me if im wrong or you think otherwise. i also do have some small concerns about the safety of this resin. I might just go down the road you suggest and ask the manufacturer the questions you stated and with a bit of luck get the answers im looking for. Cheers
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:40:07 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Kane70

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 06:22:12 AM »
If you can find the manufacturer for the resin (not just the manufacturer for the ink, although that might be a starting point) you may be able to search the patent literature to find a patent covering the resins. This might give you some idea of what the resin could be.

And it might be a trade secret because they don't have a patent to cover the material and don't want anybody else knowing what it is.
Thanks for your reply.. I have tried for hours to find the manufacturer for it and came across a MSDS from Sun Chemicals who manufacturs pigments so i have contacted them but have had no reply as yet.

I think your right it is a trade secret and is going to be difficult to find out. Thanks again and i will keep you posted.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »
Yes i am looking to purchase this resin to make my own inks and i think they use this resin to aid the dispersion of the pigment and or to help hold the pigment in solution please correct me if im wrong or you think otherwise.

Usually, resins in inks are being used as the binder. They are dissolved in solution, but as the solvent evaporates (or in the case of tattoo inks, gets absorbed by the body), the binder forms a structure to hold the pigment particles in fixed positions. This gives you the nice smooth colors you are looking for, rather than the clumps of pigment that would otherwise form. In some cases they can also act as dispersants if they also associate with the pigments in solutions, but in many cases a surfactant is also added to keep the pigments dispersed in solution.

Sponsored Links