April 19, 2024, 02:34:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what the effects of benzoyl peroxide are on the environment?  (Read 3887 times)

LauraC

what the effects of benzoyl peroxide are on the environment?
« on: November 19, 2005, 01:45:02 PM »
Does anyone know what the effects of benzoyl peroxide are on the environment and if it is harmful to the environment? And if so, what are some alternatives to benzoyl peroxide that are more environmentally friendly?
I'm also looking to find toxicity data.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 04:33:13 PM by Mitch »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:what the effects of benzoyl peroxide are on the environment?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:12:01 PM »
the problem with CFCs is that UV from the sun breaks it down to form radicals. The radicals destroy the ozone layer. I tend to think that UV may break down benzoyl peroxide to radicals. I am not sure..

It would be nice if you can google for the O-O bond strength of benzoyl peroxide. These calculate the corresponding wavenumber and see if this wavenumber falls in the UV range of the electromagnetic spectrum.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links