April 28, 2024, 03:06:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Qualitative test of a generated Grignard reagent  (Read 6052 times)

AFFA

Qualitative test of a generated Grignard reagent
« on: November 19, 2005, 02:46:59 PM »
I am going to prepare a Grignard reagent from 2-chloropropane in THF. Although the overall reaction is slightly exothermic, I still find it difficult to confirm that the initiation of Mg is done or not. I also tried adding a little 1,2-dibromoethane as additive and heat the solution up for a while. I am still not sure about the question stated above (initiation is done or not)? So, is there any definitive observation or chemical test for a successful initiation???  ??? ??? Thanks a lot

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re:Qualitative test of a generated Grignard reagent
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 06:49:35 PM »
The initiation of the reaction should be fairly obvious to detect because most Grignard reagents are only partially soluble in ether, so the solution turns cloudy upon initiation.  Here's a webpage with some pictures showing how to tell whether the reaction has initiated:

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~bacher/General/30CL/Grignard_rxn/initiation_of_rxn.html

AFFA

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 07:13:48 AM »
I see. Thanks   :o

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:36:40 AM »
Alternatively, you could take out a small aliquot, quench it, and take an NMR.  Might not be so easy with propane as a byproduct though.

By the way, this is going to be a difficult Grignard reagent because you will get a lot of elimination products where the propyl Grignard acts as a base to effect an E2 elimination on 1-chloropropane to give propane and propene.

Sponsored Links