April 19, 2024, 07:56:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to think mathematically  (Read 5788 times)

Offline CrimpJiggler

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
How to think mathematically
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
I am a visual thinker and consequently, I have an edge when it comes to understanding many chemistry concepts such as molecular geometry and stereochemistry but conversely, I struggle in other fields. More specifically, I struggle with mathematical concepts which are difficult to visualize. One of my classes this semester is "quantum chemistry" which covers the Schrodinger equation and its applications in chemistry. Fortunately, the Schrodinger equation is so bizarre and alien looking, I can actually memorise it well but I'm trying to gain a true understanding of all this stuff but don't even know where to begin constructing a visual representation of the concepts. With simpler mathematical concepts, I used to spend hours devising a method to visualize the concepts and this often worked but that was things like basic algebra, the kind of maths used in quantum chemistry is a tad trickier lol. A question for mathematical thinkers here: how do you think about the mathematical concepts? Which internal representations do you use? We can think with imagery, sound, touch, smell, taste and emotion. Basically the 5 senses as well as emotions. When I think about chemistry and other scientific concepts, 99% of the time I do it with a combination of images and touch. For example if I want to think about blood vessels, I'll see the blood vessel, I'll see the blood flowing through it and I'll feel the blood pressure. This is how I think in general. This is effective for many things but its not effective for maths at all. The numbers and symbols are too dull and abstract to work with in visualisation. I find it much easier when I sound it out in my head i.e. if I say "why equals em ex plus c" rather than visualise the equation.  Is this how mathematical thinkers do it? Do they sound out the mathematical operations in their head? The reason I think entirely in images and touch is because I have difficulty with auditory processing so I don't know how well I can adapt to something like this.

rhakeson

Re: How to think mathematically
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:10:07 AM »
...anyone can be one; you should learn how to analyze problem. In just by seeing the formula or variables or other stuff your mind will automatically analyze and make its own computation (it was on my own perspective). It is your call whether to say the problem out loud or just on mind or jut it down on a piece of paper.

Offline CrimpJiggler

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »
Yeah I do find myself automatically analysing various aspects of mathematical problems when I start attempting to visualize the concepts but it is quite brainracking. This is how ones mental capabilities evolve though so the time spent racking the brain is time well spent.

Offline Bran

• Mole Snacks: +0/-6
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:58:59 PM »
....I still pretend as though I can track a particles position and speed at the same time...That's how I visualize the quantum world...I'll think of a wave, like and the ocean all the way to a macro particle orbiting my body like a glowing moon....It opens the world of fantasy....a world that will keep your mind enchanted enough to never give up on it.....The way to do the math....you have to find experiments that have been done and the calculations to those experiments....once you've found them.....align the calculations with the steps of the experiment....you have to find real quantum mechanical experiments that were done.....and study how the calculations are aligned with the steps of the experiment.....with that alignment you will understand...what the math is doing theoretically...and what that means in our world....The alignment is really just a mnemonic..

Sponsored Links