May 01, 2024, 06:31:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrolytic Purification  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Ari Ben Canaan

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Electrolytic Purification
« on: April 28, 2012, 02:13:21 AM »
Page 7 Part (c) is where I'm having some doubts. The nickel question.

I believe that since the electrode potentials are quite negative (see below) then both Nickel and Iron will go into solution as ions.

Furthermore, only Nickel would be deposited at the Cathode due to its more positive potential relative to Iron.

Ni2+/Ni = –0.25V
Fe2+/Fe = –0.44V

However, the mark scheme seems to be implying that only the Fe goes into solution. This is what it says word for word :

Because the Fe potential is more negative than the Ni potential, the iron will dissolve

Am I correct ?

Offline Ari Ben Canaan

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Electrolytic Purification
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 04:50:48 AM »
Because the Fe potential is more negative than the Ni potential, the iron will dissolve

Where does it state nickel will not dissolve?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Ari Ben Canaan

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 04:52:55 AM »

Where does it state nickel will not dissolve?

It seems to be almost hinting that it won't.... Its unclear.... Could you please confirm that my methodology and hence my answer is correct/wrong ?

I'd be very much obliged.  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 05:19:35 AM »
Iron will dissolve first, nickel second, but I bet conditions are selected in such a way there are both dissolving at the same time. Controlling the reduction potential you can selectively deposit nickel, leaving iron in the solution.

Note that you can't dissolve iron selectively, no matter what. Once you dissolve iron that is in contact with the solution you are left with a nickel on the surface and the solution has no access to the iron in the bulk of the electrode.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Ari Ben Canaan

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 05:24:07 AM »
Iron will dissolve first, nickel second, but I bet conditions are selected in such a way there are both dissolving at the same time. Controlling the reduction potential you can selectively deposit nickel, leaving iron in the solution.

Note that you can't dissolve iron selectively, no matter what. Once you dissolve iron that is in contact with the solution you are left with a nickel on the surface and the solution has no access to the iron in the bulk of the electrode.

Okay, so I was correct to say that both go into solution but only Nickel is deposited at the cathode ?

Offline Ari Ben Canaan

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:30:39 AM »
Please try and understand that I need closure on this matter  :-\

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »
Okay, so I was correct to say that both go into solution but only Nickel is deposited at the cathode ?

That would be the correct answer for me.

Offline Ari Ben Canaan

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »

That would be the correct answer for me.

Thank you !!

+rep

Sponsored Links