March 28, 2024, 02:11:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: UV/visible spectra  (Read 5876 times)

Offline rleung

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • I'm a mole!
UV/visible spectra
« on: November 19, 2005, 05:24:45 PM »
Hi,

Ok, I am either going crazy or the book is messed up.  I am using Bruice's textbook (4th edition), and on pg. 326, it says that a red shift is a shift to a longer wavelength, while a blue shift is a shift to a shorter wavelength.  However, in the chart found further below on the same page (chart of the dependence of the color observed on the wavelengh of light absorbed), it lists red light as having a wavelength absorbance of 440-560 nm, while blue light has a wavelength absorbance of 540-650 nm, which is OPPOSITE of what it said earlier that red light having a longer wavelength.  

I am very confused.  Is there anyone that could help?  I would much appreciate it.  Thanks so much.

Ryan

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:UV/visible spectra
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 05:44:45 PM »
Red is definitely at longer wavelength end. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum (scroll down to visible radiation).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

GCT

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 06:18:54 PM »
Hi,

Ok, I am either going crazy or the book is messed up.  I am using Bruice's textbook (4th edition), and on pg. 326, it says that a red shift is a shift to a longer wavelength, while a blue shift is a shift to a shorter wavelength.  However, in the chart found further below on the same page (chart of the dependence of the color observed on the wavelengh of light absorbed), it lists red light as having a wavelength absorbance of 440-560 nm, while blue light has a wavelength absorbance of 540-650 nm, which is OPPOSITE of what it said earlier that red light having a longer wavelength.  

I am very confused.  Is there anyone that could help?  I would much appreciate it.  Thanks so much.

Ryan

read up on hypsochromic and bathochromic shifts, don't take "red" and "blue" literally.

savoy7

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 06:39:23 PM »
Read up on absorbing of light.  The chart you were looking at was about the dependence of the color observed on the wavelength of light absorbed.  It is not saying that red light is at a wavelength of 440-560 nm.

Offline rleung

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 07:20:21 PM »
Hmm, I understand now that the chart was not referring to the wavelength of red light, but I am not sure what the chart title means.  Does it mean that the wavelength indicated is the wavelength of light that is ABSORBED in order to REFLECT back that certain color (in this case, red)?

allah_akbr

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 02:48:33 AM »
blue light is of course of a shorter wavelength than the red one
but the complementry colour of the blue light would be at a longer wavelength than that of red
if u want to know further see an analytical chemistry textbook talking about spectrophotometry
key phrase:for a substance to appear blue it must absorb all wavelengthes except the blue one
and one of the absobed wavelengthes is absorbed maximum

Sponsored Links