June 17, 2024, 03:33:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydroboration - alpha methyl styrene  (Read 2793 times)

Offline domaz01

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hydroboration - alpha methyl styrene
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:04:09 AM »
Today I synthesised the trialkylborane via hydroboration of alphamethyl styrene. The trialkylborane was then oxidised to an alcohol, then left in ether. The next step required to rotary evaporate the ether off, then distill the alcohol (2-phenylpropan-1-ol) under reduced pressure.

The alcohol in ether was left in a round bottom flask with a quick-fit stop cock on. However I did not use that special plastic tape to seal the stop cock.

As the boiling point of 2-phenylpropan-1-ol is 110 deg Celcius, and diethyl ether is around 35 deg C, will I lose the product if the ether evaporates from the flask? It appears the product (2-phenylpropan-1-ol) is totally dissolved in ether.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:13:15 AM by Dan »

Offline domaz01

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Hydroboration - alpha methyl styrene
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »
OK, to help me answer this question I have researched Raoult's Law of Ideal Mixtures, Intermolecular Forces (Van der Waals), vapour pressure vs boiling pt graphs, enthalpy change of mixing solvents and have realised this is a really complex question. I am assuming I will lose some product when the ether evaporates due to Van der Waals forces influencing the alcohol, maybe reducing the alcohols vapour pressure and boiling pt.   

Sponsored Links