April 28, 2024, 05:45:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction feasibility  (Read 4379 times)

Offline aerosam

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Reaction feasibility
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:15:57 AM »
Hi everyone

Here is a rather trivial question, but i have no idea why certain reactions are feasible and certain reactions are not.
Suppose i have H2 + 1/2 O2 = H20
We all know that it occurs.
How would we prove that such a reaction is feasible at a particular temperature, by looking at quantities like enthalpy of formation, Gibbs free energy etc?
We also know that it requires a spark to initiate the reaction. How would we determine that as well?

My aim is the following.
Given a generic reaction, how do i know whether it will occur at a particular temperature or not and if it needs heating etc?

Thanks
Sam

Offline ramboacid

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • USNCO High Honors 2012, 2013
Re: Reaction feasibility
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:15:41 PM »
How would we prove that such a reaction is feasible at a particular temperature, by looking at quantities like enthalpy of formation, Gibbs free energy etc?

More or less. ;)

The change in the gibbs free energy of a reaction determines whether a reaction is spontaneous or nonspontaneous. Negative values of  indicate spontaneity, and positive values indicate nonspontaneity.

For a reaction to occur, the gibbs free energy must be negative at the specified conditions. You can find the molar gibbs free energies of substances in the standard state (25 C, 1 bar) from a table, usually found in the appendix of every quality chem textbook, and then find the change in gibb's free energy using Hess's Law.

There is a nice little equation relating values of gibbs free energy at different temperatures:
 :delta: Grxn =  :delta: Gorxn + RTln(Q)

If you know the concentrations of the reactants and products, and the  :delta: Go of the reaction, you can determine the spontaneity of the reaction. Q is the reaction quotient.

If you can't obtain values for the gibbs free energy, you could always calculate them from the enthalpy and entropy changes using

:delta: G =  :delta: H - T :delta: S

As for the spark, I would assume it raises the temperature so that the reactants can pass the activation energy barrier, but I am unsure.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline aerosam

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:05:33 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.
So let's try it on a simple reaction such as
KOH + HCl = KCl + H20
\delta G (KOH)= -379 KJ/mol
\delta G (HCl)= -95
\delta G (KCl)= -408
\delta G (H2O)= -237
So \delta G reaction = -408 -237 -(-95 -379) = -171 KJ/mol
So i guess the above reaction occurs spontaneously at room temperature(as expected)

Now let's take the reaction
H2 + 1/2 O2 = H20
\delta G (H2)= 0
\delta G (O2)= 0
So \delta G reaction = -237
But we know that it requires a spark and that the concentration of H2 in O2 should be sufficiently high.
If i just light a match in air, i don't think i will start making water. So what am i missing?

Can we conclude that \delta G < 0 for a reaction is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a reaction to  occur? What else do we need?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 06:40:06 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.
So let's try it on a simple reaction such as
KOH + HCl = KCl + H20
\delta G (KOH)= -379 KJ/mol
\delta G (HCl)= -95
\delta G (KCl)= -408
\delta G (H2O)= -237
So \delta G reaction = -408 -237 -(-95 -379) = -171 KJ/mol
So i guess the above reaction occurs spontaneously at room temperature(as expected)

Now let's take the reaction
H2 + 1/2 O2 = H20
\delta G (H2)= 0
\delta G (O2)= 0
So \delta G reaction = -237
But we know that it requires a spark and that the concentration of H2 in O2 should be sufficiently high.
If i just light a match in air, i don't think i will start making water. So what am i missing?

Can we conclude that \delta G < 0 for a reaction is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a reaction to  occur? What else do we need?

How much air would you need to generate, say 1 ml of water?

Offline aerosam

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:46:20 AM »
Yes, the matchstick was probably the wrong example, given the low concentration of Hydrogen in air.
My point is how do we determine if a park or ignition source is necessary to start a reaction?

Sponsored Links