April 16, 2024, 06:27:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Should I take Inorganic Chemistry  (Read 8131 times)

Offline amorale

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Should I take Inorganic Chemistry
« on: March 07, 2012, 01:49:42 AM »
Hello everybody,

I am writing this because I want some advice on my current situation. I am currently taking Chemistry 2 and I am really getting interested by chemistry now. (Finally manage to get an A on a chem exam :) ). In my school wish is a small state university here in Florida the chemistry program is not very strong and they don't teach inorganic chemistry every semester, sometimes not even for years. But I was checking and they are going to offer the class which is a 4000 level class, next fall. The requirement for this class is Chem 2 and its lab which I will have pass by then.
So my question is, should I take inorganic chem even if my chemistry level at the moment is not very high since i'm just starting my major? Or is the class too challenging for 2nd year Chem students?

Also I am currently planning on transferring to a bigger state university like UF or UCF, do you think taking this class will help me get into any of this schools? I know they usually want transferred to have done all the general chem and the organic chem.

Thank You

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Should I take Inorganic Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
Generally, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and physical chemistry are all taught in a completely independent manner, relying only on freshman general chemistry as prerequisite. If you have done well in general chemistry and understood what you were taught, you are probably in as good of a position to take inorganic chemistry as you would be at any other point in your undergraduate studies.

Offline amorale

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
 Alright thank a lot I will be taking it then since I have understood very well general chem 1

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »
Contacting faculty members at the university you plan to attend wouldn't be a bad idea as well. They might be able to give you an idea of whether taking that course will be worth it.

Your credits don't always transfer after all.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline EricK425

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »
I agree with fledarmus. Inorganic chemistry focuses on transition metals and coordinate structures; basically a much more in depth look from Chem 1. I took this course and loved it, however, I did struggle with point group symmetry topics because I am not a very spatial thinker. How well can you see 3D oriented molecules in your head and visualize certain rotational operations performed on them? I recommend enrolling in the course, I think you will enjoy it.

Offline MH

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:24:01 AM »
It really depends. If your U. is like mine, it offers a basic, descriptive Inorganic survey course and an "Advanced" course. The Advanced should require PChem as a prereq, the easy course requires only GenChem. 

Sponsored Links