June 17, 2024, 01:32:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SN2 and E2 competition with a primary haloalkane  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Kate

• Mole Snacks: +8/-3
SN2 and E2 competition with a primary haloalkane
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
Hello.  :)

Got 2 questions:

1. Reaction of CH3(CH2)4CHBr with CH3CH2O- in CH3CH2OH gives mainly SN2 or E2 ? And if it's E2 it follows Zaitsev's or Hofmann's product ?

I think it gives an E2 reaction with Hofmann's product.

2. Reaction of CH3(CH2)4CHBr with (CH3)3O- in (CH3)3OH gives mainly SN2 or E2 ? And if it's E2 it follows Zaitsev's or Hofmann's product ?

Right or wrong ?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: SN2 and E2 competition with a primary haloalkane
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »
What leads you to those conclusions?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
Hello.  :)

Got 2 questions:

1. Reaction of CH3(CH2)4CHBr with CH3CH2O- in CH3CH2OH gives mainly SN2 or E2 ? And if it's E2 it follows Zaitsev's or Hofmann's product ?

2. Reaction of CH3(CH2)4CHBr with (CH3)3O- in (CH3)3OH gives mainly SN2 or E2 ? And if it's E2 it follows Zaitsev's or Hofmann's product ?

Right or wrong ?

I don't think it's quite correct. Think about reaction 1 again. (should the formula not be CH3(CH2)4CH2Br?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »
Also, there is only one possible product form E2 - Hofmann/Zaitsev is irrelevant if it's a primary alkyl halide etc.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Kate

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
What leads you to those conclusions?

I think it's E2 for both.

Strong base, plus it's hindered.

I don't think it's quite correct. Think about reaction 1 again. (should the formula not be CH3(CH2)4CH2Br?

Yes, my mistake, it should be CH3(CH2)4CH2Br.

Anyway, SN2 or E2 ? I think it's E2 for both.

Also, there is only one possible product form E2 - Hofmann/Zaitsev is irrelevant if it's a primary alkyl halide etc.

Yeah, my mistake again. Thanks.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
What is hindered? Your first reaction looks like a primary halide and a primary alkoxide.

(hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamson_ether_synthesis)

Offline Kate

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
What is hindered? Your first reaction looks like a primary halide and a primary alkoxide.

(hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamson_ether_synthesis)

And it is a primary haloalkane with an alkoxide, with alkoxide acting as a strong base. In my organic class we havent talked about ether synthesis yet, so with what I only know so far (that being synthesis of alkenes, alkynes and a bit of alcohols), what does that reaction give ?!

Hindered base for you: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-the-definition-of-a-hindered-base-in-organic-chemistry

Also, I read in a organic chem book that an alkoxide in a solvent that is it's conjugated acid is more hindered than if it was in a different solvent. CH3CH2O- isnt a hindered base, but supposedly in CH3CH2OH it's harder for the alkoxide to shed those solvent molecules, thus becoming a "bit" hindered.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
Yes, but ethoxide isn't sterically hindered. t-butoxide, your second base, is.

Seriously, read the article. Don't be put off by the name - it is a description of a reaction you will recognize.

Offline Kate

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:03:32 PM »
Yes, but ethoxide isn't sterically hindered. t-butoxide, your second base, is.

Seriously, read the article. Don't be put off by the name - it is a description of a reaction you will recognize.

I edited the my previous post: "Also, I read in a organic chem book that an alkoxide in a solvent that is it's conjugated acid is more hindered than if it was in a different solvent. CH3CH2O- isnt a hindered base, but supposedly in CH3CH2OH it's harder for the alkoxide to shed those solvent molecules, thus becoming a "bit" hindered." True or not ?

OK, I saw the article, it's an SN2 reaction. Why would that be the major product of those 2 different reactions instead of an alkene via E2 ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:14:07 PM by Kate »

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
You will always get some competition between E2 and SN2 reactions, if both reactions are possible. By using a really good nucleophile, you can get almost complete SN2 reaction, and by using a strong base with no good nucleophile, you can get almost complete E2 reaction.

The question you were given really represents the two extremes of steric hindrance and their effect on the reaction. Alkoxide ions in general are good nucleophiles, and bromide attached to an alkane is a good leaving group. Since your alkyl bromide is the same in both reactions, and both alkoxides are approximately the same strength as bases, the elimination reaction will take place at about the same rate under both reaction conditions. What you are looking at is how fast the SN2 reactions will occur.

If the alkoxide is not sterically hindered, the SN2 reaction will be quite a bit faster than the E2 reaction. The carbon-bromine bond is strongly polarized, and attracts the negative charge of the alkoxide better than the proton on the next carbon. If the alkoxide is sterically hindered, however, it is too big to get close enough to the carbon, and has to be content with interacting with a proton instead. In general, the reaction of ethoxide or methoxide will be a rapid SN2 substition, while the reaction with t-butoxide will be a slower E2 elimination.

It is with the intermediate compounds that things like solvent effects become important. If you had a secondary alkyl bromide rather than a primary one, or a secondary alcohol rather than a primary one, or even something like t-amyl alcohol where it is primary but has a large group on the next carbon, you may slow the SN2 reaction down to the point where you are getting a mixture of substitution and elimination products. In that case, you may need an even stronger nucleophile to drive the reaction to the substitution product. Although ethoxide is a strong nucleophile, as you say, in an ethanol solution there is still some ion-solvent interactions that need to be overcome for the reaction to occur. In this case, you can make the nucleophile even stronger by using a solvent which does not have such strong solvent-ion interactions. This is a very small steric effect, however, compared to an actual covalent bonded group on the alkoxide itself.

Offline Kate

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. :)

What I get from all of this is that in the first reaction with ethoxide, the major product will be the SN2 one, and with t-butoxide it will be the E2. I get that there's competition between the two by the way.

Sponsored Links