April 26, 2024, 04:56:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: standard electrode potential  (Read 1992 times)

Offline will_L

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
standard electrode potential
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »
while measuring the standard electrode potential of certain element with reference to the standard hydrogen electrode.

for instance, the case of zinc, the standard electrode potential at standard conditions is 0.76,

but how do i determine whether the value is positive or negative?

i do know that the electrode potential is affected by the position of equilibrium and with more electrons produced (indicated by the electron transfer equations), it would mean oxidation and value is negative. otherwise it would be reduction and with value to be positive.

but i juz dun know at when or for which elements would more electrons be produced, and if there's any way to determine its nature.

Offline ramboacid

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • USNCO High Honors 2012, 2013
Re: standard electrode potential
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
What would happen if the zinc electrode was theoretically the cathode instead of the anode? What would be observed that would be different than from what actually occurs?

You could see what the products of the whole reaction are. For example, if zinc is getting oxidized, then H+ is getting reduced and forming H2 gas.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline will_L

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: standard electrode potential
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 02:52:51 AM »
thx, i finally got it.

Sponsored Links