March 29, 2024, 05:08:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining molecular formula of a compound  (Read 3024 times)

Offline aerosam

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Determining molecular formula of a compound
« on: May 12, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »
Hi

Suppose i have an unknown inorganic compound, is there a way to determine it's molecular composition.
For example could a mass spectrometer be used? If not which other device should i use? How would the presence of small amounts of impurities affect the results?

Thanks
Sam

Offline gelminil

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Determining molecular formula of a compound
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
I suppose a mass spectrometer could be used.
usually you can do this gravimetrically.

If you know it has Ba2+ and Cl- ions.
You can precipitate the Ba2+ with sulphate ions and the cl- with silver nitrate.  Compare the moles of each.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:47:39 AM »
Hi

Suppose i have an unknown inorganic compound, is there a way to determine it's molecular composition.
For example could a mass spectrometer be used? If not which other device should i use? How would the presence of small amounts of impurities affect the results?

Thanks
Sam

A MS will only give you the molecular weight of the compound plus the weight of fragment ions. I suppose you could piece it together but you will probably get the wrong answer. Impurities will make the MS harder to interpret-
The best way is elemental analysis. Here impurities will significantly affect the results.
NMR and IR will help a lot in this respect, the former will tell you what functionality is present, the latter what functional groups are in the molecule.

Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »
Hi

Thanks
Sam

A MS will only give you the molecular weight of the compound plus the weight of fragment ions. I suppose you could piece it together but you will probably get the wrong answer. Impurities will make the MS harder to interpret-
The best way is elemental analysis. Here impurities will significantly affect the results.
NMR and IR will help a lot in this respect, the former will tell you what functionality is present, the latter what functional groups are in the molecule.

Please ignore my comment concerning NMR and IR, I read organic for inorganic, apologies.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links