April 26, 2024, 08:03:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Optimal Hydroboration Conditions Using 9-BBN ?  (Read 5724 times)

Offline tallec01

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Optimal Hydroboration Conditions Using 9-BBN ?
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
I am currently trying to perform a Hydroboration, at scale (300gal) using 9-BBN on a di-allylated raw material. Unfortunately, there seems to be some unpredictability with the level conversion I am getting. Out of 5 batches, only 3 have converted to 100%. One did not convert at all, the other only 30%. Can anyone speak from experience
as to the sensitivity or unpredictable nature of hydroborations using 9-BBN. I am aware of the sensitivity to water of the 9-BBN, thus we have been performing a Karl Fischer to ensure we have plenty of excess reactant before beginning the addition, trying to even stay below 500ppm water. We are using inhibitor free THF as the solvent, and  also running under a nitrogen sparge. How sensitive are these systems to the inert-ness/oxygen available? Any other thoughts?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Optimal Hydroboration Conditions Using 9-BBN ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »
I am currently trying to perform a Hydroboration, at scale (300gal) using 9-BBN on a di-allylated raw material. Unfortunately, there seems to be some unpredictability with the level conversion I am getting. Out of 5 batches, only 3 have converted to 100%. One did not convert at all, the other only 30%. Can anyone speak from experience
as to the sensitivity or unpredictable nature of hydroborations using 9-BBN. I am aware of the sensitivity to water of the 9-BBN, thus we have been performing a Karl Fischer to ensure we have plenty of excess reactant before beginning the addition, trying to even stay below 500ppm water. We are using inhibitor free THF as the solvent, and  also running under a nitrogen sparge. How sensitive are these systems to the inert-ness/oxygen available? Any other thoughts?

What about the quality of your 9-BBN?
I have often had quality problems with such boron reagents on scale, Bu2BOTf for example and 9-BBN.
Your variability may suggest reagent quality problems.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline tallec01

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »
This is a great suggestion. Only one way to find out. Bring the cylinders and and try a lab batch.

Thanks

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »
This is a great suggestion. Only one way to find out. Bring the cylinders and and try a lab batch.

Thanks

You doing this under GMP conditions?
My Research History

Offline tallec01

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »
What would be considered GMP in this situation?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
What would be considered GMP in this situation?

Well are you proceeding towards an API or further? Or is this reaction product going to be used for an industrial purpose?
My Research History

Sponsored Links