March 28, 2024, 05:29:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Further changes to the editor  (Read 16045 times)

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Further changes to the editor
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:30:53 AM »
Comments welcomed, as well as bug reports. I tested changes in Opera, Firefox, Chrome and IE that I have installed here (I am too lazy to check exact versions, Windows XP), so there are still some glitches possible in different versions on different platforms.

What other symbols do you think could be added? I don't want the list to be too long. Greek letters are not complete - perhaps the list can be made longer or shorter? I selected those I could imagine I would need to use, but I am not sure if the list is not too long, after all, we can always switch to LaTeX.

I added indices and charges in hope it will make make formula formatting more obvious. I am not convinced it will work, but it was so simple I decided it was worth a try.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
Re: Further changes to the editor
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
Excellent.

I believe adding hbar ##\hbar## to "Other symbols" would be very appreciated in the Physics Chemistry Forum.

I would add ##\equiv## as well. It can be used for triple bonds N##\equiv##N and for definitions ##G \equiv H - TS##
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:19:43 AM »
≡ is not a problem, hbar seems to be more difficult as it has no defined html entity. I will see what can be done.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
Seems like it is working: ħ

Actually ħ was on my list, somehow I forgot about it while implementing changes.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:18:21 AM »
Oh wow.  That is nice.  There's a lot there, but it really shows people they're on a science discussion board.  On my particular flavor of Firefox, the + and - signs associated with the numbers seems spaced a little awkwardly.  So Ca2+ ... oh wait ... now I get it, they're not +2 +3, they're +, 2+, 3+, OK, I get it now.  Maybe, to make it clearer for the first time user, you'd put the + and - at the start of the other symbols, along with ±?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
Oh wow.  That is nice.  There's a lot there, but it really shows people they're on a science discussion board.  On my particular flavor of Firefox, the + and - signs associated with the numbers seems spaced a little awkwardly.  So Ca2+ ... oh wait ... now I get it, they're not +2 +3, they're +, 2+, 3+, OK, I get it now.  Maybe, to make it clearer for the first time user, you'd put the + and - at the start of the other symbols, along with ±?

To be honest I tried to put them in different ways and none looked OK to me  >:(

They look best when they are close to the full size character in normal position, as it is obvious then that they are subscripts/superscripts. When they are after ± + - it is not clear to me what they are, besides, it makes logical sense to keep then together with 2+ 3+

But I have another idea, what about + 2+ 3+ - 2- 3-?

Oh my, what a stupid mistake  :-[, superscripts were entered as subscripts.

+ 2+ 3+ - 2- 3-

Perhaps the underline will make them look better?

Edit: no, it looks confusing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:18:32 AM by Borek »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 01:52:44 PM »
It could certainly say as is, once you go there to select, its obvious.  That what I discovered as I typed my response above.  Also, its cool that it embeds the sub field, so a new person can learn that they can use a manual method to get what they want.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
So, hydrogen electron configuration is either :spinup: or :spindown:, while helium is :spinpaired:.

Hydrogen molecule can be either :spinpaired:, :spinup: :spinup: or :spindown: :spindown:, but now we are talking about proton spins.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »
LΘνε iτ
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
 ;D

Sponsored Links