April 27, 2024, 11:25:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The "invisible electrolysis" phenomena. Explanation?  (Read 2850 times)

Offline broli

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The "invisible electrolysis" phenomena. Explanation?
« on: May 16, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »
Studying electrolysis I came across the following website including an electrolysis experiment:

http://www.elkadot.com/en/chemistry/Electrolysis%20of%20Molten%20Sodium%20Chloride.htm

The result of the experiment intrigued me so I went searching online for any other similar results but couldn't find any so hence this thread.

Is this effect well known in chemistry? And if its is what is the underlying explanation of it?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: The "invisible electrolysis" phenomena. Explanation?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
Wow.  That guy has done, the experiment I wanted to do, when I was a kid.  I don't think he can melt NaCl that easily, but I don't understand his term for a torch -- when I used two propane torches, I was only able to sinter household NaCl crystals together.  I might have to check up on the reference he has for invisible electrolysis, but I don't really get his point. If he can melt NaCl, the liquid ionic salt will conduct electricity.  If his voltage isn't high enough, which he says its not, he can't electrolyze NaCl, I guess that's true, but conduction?  Why not?  Sometimes, people fake experiments on youtube, and with still photos he can fake even more.  We have to keep that in mind.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline broli

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: The "invisible electrolysis" phenomena. Explanation?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »
I have melted fine silver bullion once with a propane torch in open air so it should be doable.

I also digged deeper and found some literature on band theory that stated that some liquid salts have a resistivity that is 10^8 higher than metals. Using this information one can do a rough calculation to find that indeed the current range is in the mA for such a setup at 1.5V.

Sponsored Links