April 29, 2024, 12:33:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Titration question  (Read 13911 times)

Offline lechatelier

• Mole Snacks: +0/-7
Titration question
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:04:58 AM »
A quick question about titration that's been bugging me.

A 25ml sample solution contains Cl- ions and we have to determine the concentration of Cl- ions.

A standard solution of 0.1 M AgNO3 is used to supply the Ag+ ions

Also 0.1 M Na2CrO4 is added as indicator.

Ag+ from the AgNO3 can form two possible componds:

Ag+ + Cl- --> AgCl ...(Ksp 1.8 x 10-10)

2Ag++CrO42- --> Ag2CrO4.(Ksp = 1.1 x 10-12)

My question is that since the Ksp of the indicator AgCrO4 is lower, why doesn't it precipitate first???

I mean the AgCl has a higher Ksp and therefore more soluble than AgCrO4

Please tell me what I'm missing. Thankyou!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Titration question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 03:17:27 AM »
Calculate concentration of Ag+ in saturated solutions of AgCl and Ag2CrO4.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lechatelier

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:46:36 AM »
Calculate concentration of Ag+ in saturated solutions of AgCl and Ag2CrO4.

Hi Borek,
Thanks. You're right when I calculate the quantity of Ag reuired to precipitate either AgCl or Ag2CrO4, it's LOWER for AgCl. But I'm still not sure why the AgCrO4 will not precipitate first even though it has the lower Ksp

It's like the questions "which compound will precipitate first" and it's always the one with lower Ksp. So that's why I'm puzzled by the above case

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:45:39 AM »
It's like the questions "which compound will precipitate first" and it's always the one with lower Ksp.

You have already calculated that's not the case yet you repeat the same incorrect assumption.

You can compare Ksp directly only for salts of identical type - MeaXb with identical a and b values. When a and b are different, direct comparison of Ksp is not enough.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline lechatelier

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:16:51 AM »
You can compare Ksp directly only for salts of identical type - MeaXb with identical a and b values. When a and b are different, direct comparison of Ksp is not enough.

I get that ksp of Agcl = [Ag][Cl]
And Ksp of Ag2CrO4 = [Ag]^2[CrO4]

My question is whether Ag will always be attracted to Cl- first regardless of concentration of Cl and CrO4 in the solution. What if the concentration of CrO4 is very high, will Ag still be attracted to Cl to form AgCl? I don't understand why Ag is attracted to Cl- as opposed to CrO4. Any help is appreciated

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »
My question is whether Ag will always be attracted to Cl- first regardless of concentration of Cl and CrO4 in the solution.
Try calculation - what concentration of chromate and chloride is needed that both salts start precipitation together for the same concentration of Ag+. Take rather small concentration of Ag+, eg 0.00001 M.
AWK

Offline lechatelier

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »
My question is whether Ag will always be attracted to Cl- first regardless of concentration of Cl and CrO4 in the solution.
Try calculation - what concentration of chromate and chloride is needed that both salts start precipitation together for the same concentration of Ag+. Take rather small concentration of Ag+, eg 0.00001 M.

Thanks! I wouldn't know how to go about doing that ;)
But if it is possible to figure out the specific conentration of chloride and chromate so they precipitate together. If we take this one step further, can we figure out the concentration of chloride and chromate so that chlorate and Ag precipitates first??

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 09:14:46 AM »
If we take this one step further, can we figure out the concentration of chloride and chromate so that chlorate and Ag precipitates first??

Chlorate can't precipitate first, as it is not present in the solution  :P

But I guess you meant chromate - and the answer is yes. Try to calculate concentration of Ag+ in saturated chloride solution, calculate concentration of chromate that would be in the equilibrium with this concentration of silver - anything larger and chromate precipitates first.

Offline lechatelier

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I had asked my teacher the same and just received the reply. According to him, Silver chromate will never precipitate first. As long as there are Cl- ions in the solution, Ag has greater attraction for Cl- and AgCl will always precipitate first regardless of concentration of Cl or chromate ions.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
That's obviously wrong - if the solution is 10-10M in chlorides and 1M in chromate, silver chromate will precipitate first.

Sponsored Links